Quantcast

Wifey's going to kill me part ?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It is done.

I wasn't able to get my DRS to work correctly, so I took it off. When I am in the smaller cogs in the rear, shifting into the middle ring overshifts to between the ring and guard. When I back off the tension and/or the set screws it doesn't shift up. I'm not sure what is causing that though... any ideas?

Nick/FT you might notice the Thomson post. The reverb died again...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Shifting is okay with the DRS off? That sounds like you didn't have it spaced out properly.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Shifting is okay with the DRS off? That sounds like you didn't have it spaced out properly.
Much better than with the DRS, but there is still something wrong with the shifting. I have a ramp-less 36th up front, so I might have to get a new ring for that.

wtf happened to the f'in stupid reverb?
I wouldn't come back up. I think there is something wrong with the air chamber.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Much better than with the DRS, but there is still something wrong with the shifting. I have a ramp-less 36th up front, so I might have to get a new ring for that.
Fix that. The DRS would exacerbate that problem, I bet it's fine otherwise.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I accidentally put a ramp-less ring on my Delirium with the DRS on it and it wouldn't shift for crap. So, I went and got another ring, same size, 36T and worked perfectly again. Makes a big difference...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Jokey98, check with Nick. I think he has oodles of ramped and unramped chainrings just laying about his garage all hibbity-dibbity.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
Looking good Mark. Now you need to ride it once the permafrost conditions in your are have sufficiently abated. Or you could come and visit the decidedly warmer bay area.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Why not go local. Norco has some nice bikes these days. I really like their new 650b all mountain bike. Aren't there special deals for the locals?
Ha, yeah. I have those thoughts occasionally. I'm not sold on 650b yet. I'm not a tall guy either, so I'm not sure big wheels are for me.

Besides, Norcos don't really "turn my crank". I'm a bit of a victim of bike vanity. So, if I were to go "local", I'd probably go Devinci Dixon.

The problem with Yetis and buying local (to support the local shop) is the price. To buy a SB-66C race local, I'd pay what Competitive Cyclist charges for a full XTR build....

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Check out jenson. They usually have good prices. And it IS that awesome.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ha, yeah. I have those thoughts occasionally. I'm not sold on 650b yet. I'm not a tall guy either, so I'm not sure big wheels are for me.

Besides, Norcos don't really "turn my crank". I'm a bit of a victim of bike vanity. So, if I were to go "local", I'd probably go Devinci Dixon.

The problem with Yetis and buying local (to support the local shop) is the price. To buy a SB-66C race local, I'd pay what Competitive Cyclist charges for a full XTR build....
I hear you but with two kids and a wife not working bike vanity is not high on my list these days. I hear you on the height its a good point. I would not be too crazy about my 29r if I was much shorter than 6' 1".

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Check out jenson. They usually have good prices. And it IS that awesome.
Yup. But CC has a slicker website of bike-build titillation. Once I decide I'm going to pull the trigger, whoever has the best deal will take my money.

I hear you but with two kids and a wife not working bike vanity is not high on my list these days. I hear you on the height its a good point. I would not be too crazy about my 29r if I was much shorter than 6' 1".
Yup, I'm currently in the same situation, minus one of the kids. But I'm working abroad to earn some dough. I'd already been saving to upgrade my trail bike. A few hundred bucks more to save and I can get a pretty obscene bike guilt-free. Well, more or less guilt-free anyhow...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Booyah

The weather was just too nice out to keep working this pm, so I played hookie. Also nice enough to have thoughts of a ride... I mean, I was going to have to drive past the shop, on the way, and I figured there was no harm popping in to see if they had the demo bike available...

Anyhoo, took it for a ride. After experiencing the climbing ability, I was pretty much blown away, and looking forward to the descent, which, as it turned out, was also awesome.

Returned the bike, had a little "parlez vous" with the shop owner, and left with a nice new carbon bike.

I have a bit of fit tweaking to do. Either a shorter stem (I've got a 60mm on there now), or a seatpost without the weird offset the RF Turbine has to bring my heiny a little closer to the bars.

The owner of the shop had ridden it to work a couple of times, and one other person had taken it for a demo ride. He had been using it as his personal bike, and so put on some XTR trail brakes, Shadow plus RD, and XTR shifters. It's got the 36 Float rather than the 34 because it is moar macho. I weighs a little more, but it seems to be a kickass fork.

So, with some nice upgrades from the "international" build kit, I got a good deal. I'm very happy.

Too bad I get on a plane to Dakar tomorrow morning and won't get to ride it for a month...

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have a bit of fit tweaking to do. Either a shorter stem (I've got a 60mm on there now), or a seatpost without the weird offset the RF Turbine has to bring my heiny a little closer to the bars.

The owner of the shop had ridden it to work a couple of times, and one other person had taken it for a demo ride. He had been using it as his personal bike, and so put on some XTR trail brakes, Shadow plus RD, and XTR shifters. It's got the 36 Float rather than the 34 because it is moar macho. I weighs a little more, but it seems to be a kickass fork.
I am about the same height as you and on a medium and I run a 50mm stem, and a post with no offset. Also, my SDG saddle is a little longer than most, so it give me room to play around on. It took me a little bit to get my setup right too when I first got it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I am about the same height as you and on a medium and I run a 50mm stem, and a post with no offset. Also, my SDG saddle is a little longer than most, so it give me room to play around on. It took me a little bit to get my setup right too when I first got it.
Nice. I'll prob swap a 50mm for the 60mm that's on there now, but the dude at the shop didn't have an RF, and suggested I reassess once I get a dropper with no offset...shrewd businessman! I didn't want to put on an oddball Easton component...I kinda want to keep my RF groupo intact... Not rational, sue me. I can wait. If they've got a turbine in the shop, I'll swap for a 50mm when I get back to town.

I'm in no hurry for the dropper... Yet. I'm leaning toward a LEV, but holy sheep shiz are they esspensive!

I'm slightly bummed that its a shade over 30lbs... Sure the kickass climbing ability will let me get over it. So to speak..

I really couldn't believe how well it handled the tech climb I tested it on. It sold the bike.

I almost had a heart attack because I didn't get my usual "fall off the bike" break. I need to live up to this bike.

It's almost worth drinking less beer while away on rotation...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Ha, if you want to take a pound off of your bike, I will trade you my fox 32 for your fox 36. Those black 36 forks are hard to come by. :D
I'm afraid my inner bike fashionista is stronger than my inner weight weenie!

Seems that fork is the standard for the "international kit". Us Canadians have moar gnar, I guess. I'm sure you could persuade some Yeti folk to switch for ya!

I need to add a bash too...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hmm.. So it seems that my RF turbine stem does not come in any size smaller than 60mm. The Havens they have are actually on 55mm, so barely different.

I guess I should, as they've already suggested, just stick with the seatpost upgrade and see what the elimination of the offset of the RF seatpost feels like...

But now I have to decide which dropper to get. KS LEVs were quoted to me at a whopping $600. (the perils of keeping it "local".) The other option is to go Reverb. I just really don't like the dangly hose of the Reverb... Cheaper, but more dangly...

I've got a long month of thinking about this ahead of me...

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
If you take the time to get the hose on a Reverb set up properly, you rarely if ever notice it. If you route the hose under the down tube and keep it tight where it turns up it limits the amount of slop.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Spent most of Friday night getting the bike ready for this coming weekend. I have a few friends from SF coming in to visit, and we will be riding DH Friday, Saturday, and possibly Sunday.

Changes included:
- Nick unlaced my beat rear wheel, then built back up an 829 on the Hope Pro2.
- Replaced my front 819/Hope with a DT DH wheel
- Bumped my fork up to 160mm
- Upped my brakes to 200mm front / 180mm rear
- Installed an SRS from Nick
- Ditched the Reverb
- Pulled the flat pedals out
- Put on a 70mm stem
- Tossed on some 2.5 Minions.

The shake down at Winter Park went well. It is stable in the air and rails corners pretty hard. Although I'm having hydro-lock issues with the fork. I've ordered a new internal seals kit, so I will be rebuilding it this week. The wheel held up perfectly, and I was able to tighten it up this afternoon. It was a full 1/2-turn to bring it back up to tension.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it rides with full fork travel. I do think that I will need to get a coil shock though. With the shock in the 'descend' setting, it bottoms hard, so I ended up riding it in 'trail' setting. I can definitely see myself ending up with an extra set of wheels and cranks so that I can make quick swaps from trail to DH.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Descend on those things is garbage... I prefer it in Trail 3 for nearly everything. Compression damping is your friend, especially when you're a wookie.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Descend on those things is garbage... I prefer it in Trail 3 for nearly everything. Compression damping is your friend, especially when you're a wookie.
I figured that out real quick. Do you know anybody running a coil?