Quantcast

Wiggins making a mistake?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
i read they're paying him more, about 3x as much as Garmin. maybe Sky filled him with some empty promises too about building the team for him to go for the TdF win.
Damn, for that kind of loot I would jump ship too....plus, he'll be the uncontested team leader. How much of a team he leads will remain to be seen.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
i read they're paying him more, about 3x as much as Garmin. maybe Sky filled him with some empty promises too about building the team for him to go for the TdF win.
That big of a raise bound to be a driving force. Probably the struggle for Garmin team fashion plate with Vaughters was a factor as well.

Now to the next Wiggins question. Is he going to be the next big thing or the next big bust? I do believe that the team change provides somewhat of a built in excuse if its bustville.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/11/sports/cycling/11cycling.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=wiggins&st=cse

“The way the deal went through is very disrespectful, and Brad clearly went after the money, which is sad,” David Millar, a British rider, said. “Sky is a corporate behemoth that is investing a massive amount in cycling, and they had to go and poach Brad from us. I know Brad better than anyone on the team. He’ll quickly forget that this time last year, that Jonathan believed in him 10 times more than anyone.”

----------------------------

Well, Millar isn't exactly known for being the most reasonable when upset, but he probably has a reason to be pissed. Besides the whole loyalty issue, what is the point of having a contract if you just need to threaten to sue to get out of it?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/11/sports/cycling/11cycling.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=wiggins&st=cse

“The way the deal went through is very disrespectful, and Brad clearly went after the money, which is sad,” David Millar, a British rider, said. “Sky is a corporate behemoth that is investing a massive amount in cycling, and they had to go and poach Brad from us. I know Brad better than anyone on the team. He’ll quickly forget that this time last year, that Jonathan believed in him 10 times more than anyone.”

----------------------------

Well, Millar isn't exactly known for being the most reasonable when upset, but he probably has a reason to be pissed. Besides the whole loyalty issue, what is the point of having a contract if you just need to threaten to sue to get out of it?
I hadn't noticed but Wiggins spent 3 2 year stints with French teams and then 1 year at Columbia and then 1 year at Garmin. Seems he doesn't like to be anywhere that long.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Now to the next Wiggins question. Is he going to be the next big thing or the next big bust? I do believe that the team change provides somewhat of a built in excuse if its bustville.
well he did finish 4th this year at the TdF with Garmin so that's not bad. guess we'll have to see what type of team Sky builds for him and if they can produce better or at least the same as Garmin did for him.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Is he going to be the next big thing or the next big bust?
I bet bust, but he has a nice big three year contract regardless. I really doubt he'll challenge Armstrong as he claims.