Quantcast

Wildcat Canyon & Tilden Park, Berkeley, Ca (pics)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Last week, my lady said, "you never ride the Evil anymore..." That struck me a bit and encouraged me to get back out there. Over the last 2 years, I've had a knee injury that's prevented me from doing any serious riding. The single-speed setup and hills wasn't a great mix for my recovering knee. Luckily, I'm close to a full recovery and over the hill for some light riding in Tilden Park & Wildcat Canyon Regional Park. It was beautiful up there in the evening. Here are some pictures.

I'll probably end up throwing some gears on the bike soon. I really like the feel of the bike and want to make it a bit more versatile.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
woooo cue twilight zone music. I was driving the ambulance east on San Pablo Dam road this afternoon when I saw the sign for Wildcat/ Tilden Park and I thought to myself...hmmn I wonder what type of riding is up there.

Thanks for the pics

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
where is that? that looks like a really nice area to ride. that scenery is just fantastic
The title says it all :) Tilden Park and Wildcat Canyon Regional Park, just outside Berkeley, California. It's about a 30 minute bike ride (gotta get over the first hill) from my house.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
woooo cue twilight zone music. I was driving the ambulance east on San Pablo Dam road this afternoon when I saw the sign for Wildcat/ Tilden Park and I thought to myself...hmmn I wonder what type of riding is up there.

Thanks for the pics
Cool... glad you like em :)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I got heat exhaustion there once. Good times.
Sorry to hear that - hope you made it out ok. Many of the trails in wildcat are in the full sun... and if you're riding from the valley to the ridge, it can be rough :)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Sorry to hear that - hope you made it out ok. Many of the trails in wildcat are in the full sun... and if you're riding from the valley to the ridge, it can be rough :)
It was one of those skip breakfast, don't drink enough water, forget the Camelbak at home, climb Centennial, chase my racer friend all through Tilden and Wildcat kind of days.

We made it to the north end of the park and I collapsed. After awhile I could get up but I could only pedal a few minutes and my heart rate would peg instantly. Scary. Took me a few hours to get out of there.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Never had heat exhaustion before... that doesn't sound good at all! Like you said, scary. I've hit the wall once a long time ago while I was in highschool. After deciding to do our long loop as the first ride of the year, I hit the wall about 2 miles outside of town. There was a flat farmer's field we had to cross before hitting the pavement & cruising into town. I ended up being unable to pedal my bike even in the easiest gear. Had to get off and walk it. Made it to town and had enough $ to buy a gatorade & a snickers. Sat for a while longer and continued to walk home. Took a few hours to get home.

Nowadays I always have food/water/phone.