Quantcast

Wilderness 101, State College

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
any suckers, i mean contestants, for this event.

ive got the endurance bug bad this year and plan to do that as well as the Shenandoah 100

so far this year ive done the shamrock 1/2 marathon, 9jhr/40mile and 12hr/70 mile adventure race, as well as the 5 hrs of Poor Farm, 12 hrs of Lodi and the Burn24 hr. 2 weeks after the Shenandoah 100 ill be at the 18hr storm the easter shore

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
rock on, have you done it before? if so what was it like? and is this a compete to complete strategy or you actually gunnin' for a decent finish? personally if i a) finish and can b) still move to the free beer pit ill consider it a victory!!!

also what are you going to be riding?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Yup. Pre-reg ends this weekend. Just trying to decide between gears and SS. I was hoping to decide closer to the race, but they make you sign up for a category during registration. I would think a 100 mile mtb race would only need male / female categories. Pick whatever kind of bike you feel you can go fastest or be most competetive on. Who cares if it's got gears or not. (mini-rant over)

Should be a good race anyhow.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
if you can even finish this on an SS much less be competitive you are an f'ing stud...
sweet JEEBUS that hurts just thinking about it.
ill need every gear i can get my hands on to get my fat a$$ up those climbs. christ i am SO not a climber!!!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
ridetoofast said:
if you can even finish this on an SS much less be competitive you are an f'ing stud...
sweet JEEBUS that hurts just thinking about it.
ill need every gear i can get my hands on to get my fat a$$ up those climbs. christ i am SO not a climber!!!
That's what I thought too, until I hung out with a GIRL at a party last year who had completed Wilderness 101 and SM100 on rigid SS bikes. I don't know how she did on the W101, but I think she took the 2nd woman's spot on Shen 100.

My decision was almost made last night while struggling with my gears on a ride. I haven't had trouble with gears for years, but last night just about did me in. A trailside repair and I was back out, but I can't imagine doing all the training you do for one of these events and then not completing due to a mechanical. That would piss me off.

I'm fine on the SS thing, my only challenge would be the distance, or time it takes to complete. My experiance at the SSWC last fall was not something I'd like to remember at the start of this race.

And I wouldn't be going for the win, just a solid completion,... hopefully before dark.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
ridetoofast said:
rock on, have you done it before? if so what was it like? and is this a compete to complete strategy or you actually gunnin' for a decent finish? personally if i a) finish and can b) still move to the free beer pit ill consider it a victory!!!

also what are you going to be riding?
Some friends of mine did it last year any it took them 15hrs to do it. They where dead last!

This is more of a fun ride for me. I'm going to have fun and meet some new people. No part of me wants to go out there and bomb.

I have a race the weekend before that's most likly going to kill me. Anyway Maybe I'll see you there

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yup - I've heard about this race too from my fellow PSU teammates.

Unfortunately, I'm a DH'er so... I will not be participating in this event. 100 miles on a bike? All at once?

Man, just take a car. It's WAY faster.:)

That weekend, I'll be at G-man in down-town State College drinking my face off.