Quantcast

Will a 5th element spring fit a DHX 5.0 shock?

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
I've read a topic on it and the conclusion was yes and no so please tell me; will it work?

With 'work' I do not only mean fit but will the spring rate still make sense with the shock, will the progression in the spring be the same and stuff...

Please help me out because I am in a hurry!

Thanks!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
not sure what you mean by "will the spring rate make sense with the shock." a 500# spring requires 500lb of force to compress an inch regardless of who is makng it. as for fitting on the shock a 5th element spring has a slightly smaller inner diameter than a fox spring. though it will fit just fine, if the spring is not perfectly straight it can rub on the threads for the preload collar on full compression and make an annoying buzzing noise. that was my experience when i put a 5th spring on my dhx last year to test out a softer spring rate. however, this was on a 3" stroke shock. A shorter stroke shock with a shorter spring might not have the same problem since a shorter spring might not derofm as much under compression. manitou springs also fit on dhx shocks as they have a wider inner diameter than the 5th's as well.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Damn thats fast!

A friend of mine has one, but its also a 5th element one in 450...

I weigh 78 kg and with TFT's spring calculator I end up needing a 400 spring. If I would have weighed 7 kg's more I needed a 450 spring. I dont know it its measured with or without gear because that could make major difference! Its gonna be on an Intense M3.

What would you say about this?

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
S.G.D said:
i rode a 5th spring on my Fox DHX5.0

worked great, and looked cool too.
Thanks for the confirmation!

I read this and was worried if the sprinrates were the same if you know what I mean... I thought not all springs were the same and pressurizing it to a certain force would not always do the same even if they were for mounting on the same size shock but apperantely I was wrong. I also read this:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=1149104#post1149104

Why does he recommend a more heavy spring on a DHX than a 5th ?????

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
i was told to run a heavier spring on a DHX when i first got it, due to a difference in some measurement between fox and 5th, however after riding the 350lbsthat i was told to ride with my fox i went back to the 300 from my 5th and i was happy.

not the most technical explaination, but ...you know. haha.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
My buddy ran a 5th spring on his DHX 5.0 and the spring rubbed on the bottom out knob - not good, get the correct spring. %th and DHX use different spring rates because internally the shocks work differently - 5th lower spring rate / DHX higher rate.

boozy1976

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
world-euro-ger-bavaria-munich
i ordered a swinger spring for my 5th with 300x3.0.
it was shorter than the 5th spring and i was not able to preload it because the thread was not going so far down the shockbody...
try to get a genuine spring-thats what i have to do :nopity:

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
DukeNukem3d said:
Thanks for the confirmation!

Why does he recommend a more heavy spring on a DHX than a 5th ?????
It's been my experience that the 5th uses more fluid damping on the compression stroke that my lightly valved DHX. That being said, I ran a 25lbs heavier spring on my fox and still have to run full bottom out and pretty high boost pressure to get the ride I'm after.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Old post I know but quick question. It looks as if a DHX spring will work on a 5th element? Right? I got my 5th avy tuned and need a new spring, but can't find any 5th's that aren't Ti or used.

Last edited:

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I just swapped my fox steel spring back onto my DHX 5.0 after riding with a Ti Progressive spring from a 5th Element for the last season and a half. Never had a single problem with the Progressive spring, and I'm only swapping it out because I lost some weight and the steel fox spring was 100 lbs lighter.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
I just swapped my fox steel spring back onto my DHX 5.0 after riding with a Ti Progressive spring from a 5th Element for the last season and a half. Never had a single problem with the Progressive spring, and I'm only swapping it out because I lost some weight and the steel fox spring was 100 lbs lighter.
cool cool, thats pretty much what i've read. I just googled all that shiz and it seems like it will all work, thanks though.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
captainpolution -
Might be a tight fit, read below.
Progressive spring will work on DHX, but not sure about the other way around. Try it and see I guess.

as for fitting on the shock a 5th element spring has a slightly smaller inner diameter than a fox spring.
Not true as far as I know:

Fox (DHX) = 1.38" ID
Progressive = 1.40" ID
Manitou = 1.43" ID

Owned them all, might have been some other reason why yours rubbed.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
captainpolution -
Might be a tight fit, read below.
Progressive spring will work on DHX, but not sure about the other way around. Try it and see I guess.

Not true as far as I know:

Fox (DHX) = 1.38" ID
Progressive = 1.40" ID
Manitou = 1.43" ID

Owned them all, might have been some other reason why yours rubbed.
odd, somewhere I read that all the newer ones had the same ID. I might just get a manitou spring then.