Quantcast

Will a gusset single speed conversion kit work on a 7 speed freehub?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I was wondering if a gusset single speed conversion kit will work on a 7 speed free hub, I took apart an old cassette so I have a couple of spacers if i need to space things out differently. If not I am not completely sure if there is a diameter difference between 7 and 8/9 freehubs because if there isnt then I will just get some pvc or extra spacers and build it that way.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
CreeP said:
Yes it will.
to clarify: iirc 7 speed cassettes are the same total width. the cogs and spacing between cogs are what are narrower. the gusset kit only relies on total width so you're golden.

update: ok looks like i didn't recall correctly. :D oh well

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah i figured i would need to use some of my spacers in conjunction with the kit or do a little grinding, i just wasnt sure if 7 speed had the same diameter as 8/9. Thanks for the input, maybe i'll just find another cassette to bust open instead of spending time grinding and save that project for a rainy day.

It's the width of the cassette hub carriers that's different. The 7 speed cassette hub is not as wide, but is the same diameter and spline pattern, as the 8/9. A 7 speed cassette will work on an 8/9 speed hub, with a spacer behind the cassette to fill in the extra width.

The cog spacing is the same on 7 and 8 speed cogsets, and 9 is narrower/closer together.

I guess the problem with the Gusset version is that those two large pieces add up to the width of an 8/9 speed cassette hub. Of course, one could use "scavenged cassette spacers" or shiny, new Boone spacers without any such issues, on either hub carrier width.