Quantcast

Will a piggy back shock fit on a Giant Reign frame?

alentz

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Santa Monica
I know this isn't exactly DH-specific, but I'm desperate to know if I can safely fit a DHX shock (air or coil, but preferably coil) on a Reign frame (not Reign X). Thanks!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm pretty sure you can't. It's my understanding that the whole advantage of the X model is piggyback compatibility, but that might just be a marketing thing.

alentz

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Santa Monica
Hmm thanks for the tips. Looks like they say a Vanilla R non-piggyback will fit, but that shock doesn't have bottom out resistance. Looks like the search continues for a light freeride bike for my gf...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think Turner sells the remote DHXs, maybe e-mail them?

Why not just pick up a Reign X frame or complete? They're pretty cheap and already have piggyback glearance.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
well if you have a dhx around the house i think if you send it to push they can make it a remote resi. im not sure on this and what i said might be a total noob response, but when it comes to that part of the bike i am. if that doesnt work then i say try finding a remote resi dhx or there is always avy.

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
i think the spring will also stop you fitting a coil shock, somebody on here had to do some dremmel work just to get a rs pearl in there.

BenP

Chimp
Apr 2, 2008

I know it an old thread, but i'm very interested in that issue...
found that picture on pinkbike. It seems, that the 2005 reign can handle a coil shock.
Anyone here whos riding an 05 reign with a coil shock?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Unfortunately it sounds like it's going to take some experimentation. If it clears, it'll work, right? Just remove the spring and cycle it a few times to be sure.

There are still a few companies making remote reservoir shocks if clearance and performance are issues. Seems to me the best way to go would be to PUSH or work on tuning your air shock as best as possible until you can get a complete frame designed for DH or freeride.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Push big hit kit on the RP23 will work or just the regular push service.

I'm a 205 beer drinker and the stock RP23 with the HV air can actually works very well for FR stuff on my 2007 reign. Trail riding is where I find the RP23 to be a turd.

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
What year is your Reign?? I work at Giant and I'll be more than happy to help you get this all sorted out. The newer Reigns (non-pierced downtube versions, MY08 and forward) can accept a shock with a piggy back. I have been running one for the last few months, and they are in fact spec'd with a DHX Air on the Reign 0 models. The coil version should be no different as far as fit goes, I just haven't tried.

Hopefully that will help you.

(I'm sorry if the question has been answered already. I just went to the last page and posted a reply.)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
What year is your Reign?? I work at Giant and I'll be more than happy to help you get this all sorted out. The newer Reigns (non-pierced downtube versions, MY08 and forward) can accept a shock with a piggy back. I have been running one for the last few months, and they are in fact spec'd with a DHX Air on the Reign 0 models. The coil version should be no different as far as fit goes, I just haven't tried.

(I'm sorry if the question has been answered already. I just went to the last page and posted a reply.)
like Natedog said - the 08/09 Reign will indeed accept a coil shock. I'm currently running a Fox RC4 on mine and also have a Vivid 5.1 that fits perfectly on the bike.

BenP

Chimp
Apr 2, 2008

Thanks guys.

I don't have a reign yet, but i want to buy a 05/06 model. Like the one shown above, with the bigger "shock hole".
It's kind of an low budget project. I known, low budget don't go with dhx remote reservoir..... that why it's only a kind of low budget ;)

The german giant support told some people that the whole linkage is designed for an air shock and would not work with an coil shock.
But linkage (http://kaesebrot-racing.de/misc/reign.jpg) tells me that it's slightly progressive... doesnt seems so bad for an coil shock or am i wrong?

So i guess the only way to fit an coil shock is to buy one without or with an remote piggybag? Gonna be hard to get the hand on a cheap 200mm dhx remote... well, waiting gonna be hard :D
Or do you know, if an regular dhx will fit? (only to the first generation)
I don't think so, but gonna try anyway as soon a have an reign frame :) (will swap my dhx from my dh-bike to the reign just to see if it fits without coil)

You might be wondering why i don't want a reign x... for my area its just a bit to much off a bike.

Benjamin

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
That bike actually rides pretty swell with an air shock. Does your girlfriend ride hard enough to notice the benefits of piggyback adjustment, or is this a case of you noticing for her? I personally would stick with the air shock on that frame.