Quantcast

Will a Saint rear derialleur swap w/ my current one?

Aaron D

Chimp
Apr 7, 2010
I learned the answer the hard way unfortunately...

This is the first bike I've ever had w/ more than one speed so anything related to that aspect is new to me:think:

Long story short, I bought a "bike path" bike to cruise around town on and quickly stated changing parts around as I learned what I didn't like about it. The bike does get more fun every time. The plan eventually became "replace everything and then put the old bike back together and give it to my wife" (yes, I'm serious).

Bike is now single gear in the front so I ordered a short cage Saint rear derailleur (already Saint have shifter) to replace the stock long cage derailleur.

Here is what I want to remove:

Amazon.com: Shimano Acera M360 7 and 8-Speed Rear Derailleur with SmartCage, Black: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31F%2B2XTP2bL.@@AMEPARAM@@31F%2B2XTP2bL

It looks like they probably mount in a completly different manner from each other. Am I SOL or can I make this work some how. FYI, I originally looked at road bike rear derailleurs but it seems they only shift gears up to about 25 teeth max. I have 9 speeds in the rear now (11-34) so I assumed I need something geared more for the MTB market. Google had some info but I wasn't able to figure out what if any of it pertained to my situation.

Thanks,
Aaron

Attachments

Last edited:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I don't see why this question is the down hill forum.

However the derailleur will work fine assuming it is the new Saint. It will be fine with a single ring and your cassette.