Quantcast

Will An 8 Speed Alfine Hub Handle DH Hardtail use?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
As the title asks, will it work and would it would be strong enough for some silly use? If so it would be perfect as the frame I am having built has sliding dropouts designed for a Rohloff hub and I get rid of the annoying mech and I get to use my current 8 speed shifter.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
No you can't use your 8 speed shifter.
Wait for the new 11 speed Alfine, it's lighter, smoother gear changes, oil bath, more equally closer spaced gears.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Should be - but if you want do some silly stuff I think that hub is still available with a coaster brake! Woohoo - big skids!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Pretty sure the Alfine is already oil bath but it looks like your right on the shifter compatibility thing, bloody Shimano. I really want to run a 5speed setup on a SS hub but I don't want a rear mech, I want a bike with almost no maintenance as it will be a fun bike not a race bike.
I hate close ratio cassettes so the 8speed might be the one for me, shifting quality isn't much of a concern as long as it changes reliably.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
A friend of mine used a 8spd Alfine on the back of his HT for a solid season of DH with no real niggles at all. Hes not one for super silly stuff though, just normal kinda silly:D I think the same hub is still being used on his commuter to this day.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Pretty sure the Alfine is already oil bath but it looks like your right on the shifter compatibility thing, bloody Shimano. I really want to run a 5speed setup on a SS hub but I don't want a rear mech, I want a bike with almost no maintenance as it will be a fun bike not a race bike.
I hate close ratio cassettes so the 8speed might be the one for me, shifting quality isn't much of a concern as long as it changes reliably.
8spd alfine is greased, not oil bath. this review here makes the point that the new alfine 11 should really be called something else, since it's so much more advanced than the 8 spd one.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Aside from the Rholoff, I am still on the fence about internally geared hubs for DH use. I have a SRAM P5 on my cruiser bike, and there is NO WAY I'd take it off road. The Alfine may be a whole different story. Awesome idea, I just wish Rholoff would make a 7spd version that is 1/2 the weight. (And half the price too!)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
There is a Sturmey Archer 8sp hub that has 6 bolt disc mounts which could be nice but I'm guessing it would be a bit more expensive.

uzziboy

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
orange county ca
I ride a socom with a rohloff hub and love it. Imo, I would go with the sturmy or rohloff, both are a little over built. I have had the speedhub for six years and still running strong. One drawback is the rear wheel weighs in at almost 10 lbs even. lol The bike weighs in at a tad under 43 lbs and it is my all around bike, so it climbs too.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I have a sturmy, and I think it's crap compared to the Alfines and Rohloffs I've had, mind you I've not ridden it much. Made in China, not the Sturmy of old, just leaning on the rep I think. I may be wrong though, won't be riding mine for 6months to confirm as I'm off skiing, and not taking that bike with me.
Check out this site.
all the info you need.
Punch 11 into the search for Alfine 11 info.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Havin had both old and new version sturmey 3 speeds, I would MUCH prefer the new one. No big neutrals between gears and much more reliable. Not being made in england is no issue for me as it is much improved and virtually a shimano competitor.

Last edited:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
My only experience with a Sturmey was on my beach cruiser/chopper bike, which now runs the SRAM P5. I am talking coaster brake versions of both. Honestly, I could not get the Sturmey off of there fast enough. Shifted like crap and braked even worse. The Sturmey felt like a safety hazard. I think it was built in 2004. The new ones may be much better, 'cause I guarantee they could not be much worse.

I have also run the 3 speed version of the Shimano Nexus, and would not take it off road.

I ran into a guy at Whistler who runs a Rholoff/V-10 combo and loves it.

Once again, I pray for a lighter 5-7 speed version of the Rholoff that can be used either as a hub, or be integrated into a central gearbox.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hell I'll take a 3 speed even. Would be a much better alternative to that expensive as hell hammerschmidt.
Yeah three speed would do me as well, but if five gears will go on an SS hub I'll run that.
Does anyone know if a Hope SS hub axle is as likely to snap as 12x150mm version? What are my options for bolt up SS hubs? All I can find is CK, Hope and Profile with Hope being the only one in budget.