Quantcast

Will I Be Asleep Before 3:00AM? GMT

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have I ever mentioned I hate Siemens?

Trying to update software on a Siemens controller at the University of Washington. Got some cryptic error message about program mismatch. After hours of chasing crumbs found out that when you install the programming software and enable the licenses, you have to go to a separate configuration screen to enable Safety Advance on top of Safety Pro. Of course the error messages don't come.close to telling you that was the problem.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have I ever mentioned I hate Siemens?

Trying to update software on a Siemens controller at the University of Washington. Got some cryptic error message about program mismatch. After hours of chasing crumbs found out that when you install the programming software and enable the licenses, you have to go to a separate configuration screen to enable Safety Advance on top of Safety Pro. Of course the error messages don't come.close to telling you that was the problem.
I'm sure I told it here, but I (IT) got roped into helping with some OT stuff a few years back, because no one in the plant had the knowledge.

We paid a Siemens engineer, or whatever they called themselves, to come here and work with us to get some crap connected on a Sinumerik 840d cnc . Even they couldn't figure it out or give us straight answers.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm sure I told it here, but I (IT) got roped into helping with some OT stuff a few years back, because no one in the plant had the knowledge.

We paid a Siemens engineer, or whatever they called themselves, to come here and work with us to get some crap connected on a Sinumerik 840d cnc . Even they couldn't figure it out or give us straight answers.

I used to setup and program 840D controls for custom machines. Called Siemens to ask how do something simple. Engineer explained it to me. When I asked where I could look up the documentation and was told there was none, I just had to "know it".