Quantcast

Will it be like the Fire XC craze?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
BGs and Nevegals came on my bike. The seem to do real well on my dusty rocky trails, but I havent ridden that many different tires . . .

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I had the nevegals for a bit..they are ok, for an aggresive trail tire I use the trailbears now.. not too heavy..great traction and one of the online sites has them for $20 a tire

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
jacksonpt said:
My nevegals have been very disappointing. Considering the cost and all the hype, I expected them to be excellent tires - they are average at best. My old verticals were a better all-around trail bike tire for the conditions I ride in, and my current Cinders are much better.
:rolleyes: ;)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
golgiaparatus said:
For some reason I could never get them to feel stable. I'd hit a corner hard and lean in and nex thing I'd knnow the tires would start sliding. It was cool that they were predictable but the conti's that I was accustom to held on better. Again... I am referring to dusty hardpack. We have lots of rocks here, they were fine on those... I flatted a lot with them too, that was probably coincidence though.
interesting... have you tried the Cinders (similar to the Fire XCs, just more burley)?

I never rode the Fires, but I rode Verts for a long time, then switched over to Cinders. The verts were better in loose soil, but the bigger lugs on the Cinders seem to hold better the rest of the time. I found that the verts would be holding fine, then just break loose when I pushed them to hard. The cinders will slide a bit, but seem to find traction again... kind of serving as a warning where the verts were all or nothing for me. I will say that the verts were better in the mud.