Quantcast

Will Itunes fix a scratched cd during import?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I imported a scratched cd last night, to get the songs which are intact. I noticed that the songs which were skipping sound fine now.

I assume there is some song-repair algorithm embedded in the Itunes import function.

Mastamind

Chimp
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes there is. I have run into the same. I have numerous CDs that when imported to itunes and then eventually to my ipod are not scratched anymore.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep, many CD ripping programs have an error correction algorithm built in.

iTunes is okay. Exact Audio Copy is the best, though. That program can recover some nasty CDs. I rip everything with EAC.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
binary visions said:
iTunes is okay. Exact Audio Copy is the best, though. That program can recover some nasty CDs. I rip everything with EAC.
is it the best if ease of use is part of the metric? iTunes + iPod offers the whole package. most people don't want to rip in one program, move files manually, etc.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
is it the best if ease of use is part of the metric? iTunes + iPod offers the whole package. most people don't want to rip in one program, move files manually, etc.
Nope, it's not the best of ease of use is your metric.

There is a bottom line metric of functionality, though, and that's when I would say something is "the best" or not. You only quoted part of my post - if you read my post in its entirity, it talks about the algorithm and states that EAC is better. That's all, I'm just talking about the EAC being a technically superior product.

You're right, there are better solutions for a lot of people than to use a seperate ripping and listening program. sanjuro isn't a computer n00b, though, he can figure out EAC if he's interested in a superior ripping method. Or not, at his convenience :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'd argue that Apple Lossless is the "best" codec then. found right in iTunes :nuts:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Don't know anything about it. How does it compare to FLAC?

And you can use whatever codec you want with EAC, it just does a superior job of ripping your data :p

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bjanga said:
Klein Mantra > iTunes because iTunes rips in the proprietary format. Right?
itunes rips to Apple Lossless, which is proprietary, yes.

however, as BV noted, it also rips to mp3, AAC (which is the mpeg4 audio standard), AIFF.