Quantcast

Will North* kill my smaller travel bike?

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
Havent been and I'm looking to plan a trip... my "big bike" is an '05 specialized SX (5 and 5 basically) that is fine for anything in the elevationly challenged state of TX.

anyone riding 4X type bikes out there? or am in need of lots more travel fast?

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
You'd have waaay more fun at N* on a longer travel DH bike. You could ride Livewire and it would be fun, but trails like Karpiel and Dog Bone would suck on a bike with that little travel.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
yep. Depends on what you want to ride. One of my friends came out this weekend and all she brought was her 5" travel bike, but she was plenty entertained riding laps on livewire.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
bmx background. limited DH (i live in TX...) experience. just curious if the SX is up to some of the stuff up there or if i need to rent/borrow/buy. thanks yall.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Rode up there w/ my 6 incher and had a blast on the whole right side of the mtn (livewire/gypsy). Boondocks would have been funner on a bigger bike but you'll survive. Just stay off the left lifts.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Road my coiler w/ super T front on everything & never had a problem. I Did dog bone, stick & stones & karpeil no problem.

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
It really depends on your style, skill level, and how fast you want to go. Big Trees, Little Trees, Flameout, Live Wire, Sinuous, Hoggs, Pho Dog, Speed Control, upper Karpiel and Gypsy are all perfectly doable on a shorter travel bike, but the Double Blacks are definately more fun on a BIG bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I see hecklers and nomads up there pretty often. A friend of mine rode his Nomad there this year and although he wasn't exactly crushing it, he hit just about everything and had a blast. In the end, you don't "need" a bigger bike to ride up there but it's definitely way better for the super rocky stuff.

So, you might consider renting a bike from one of the local shops (experience with mountain rentals has been mixed). If you bring your bike, slap on a set of the biggest, toughest tires you can fit in your frame and fork and have at it.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I don't know. The nice thing about my Coiler is that is very light & maneuverable.

It's not a true downhill bike & definently will not fly down anything to fast, but if you "take your time" ( by which I mean, "don't blast through everything") & pick a line carefully I can do all the trails on it.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the double blacks & only had a little trouble.

The things I couldn't do, had little to do with my bike & more to do with my ability as a rider.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
I thought the SX had 6 and 6 ?Anyway I just took my 05 Enduro up there and i did every trail and most stunts ,drops ,jumps just fine.

the 4x frame... not the SX Trail..

this one:

It really depends on your style, skill level, and how fast you want to go.
im Kyle Bennett smooth of course... been bunny hopping curbs and pwning at the bmx track since 3rd grade... and I like to go fast more than Ricky Bobby