Quantcast

will the post office ship a bike?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I've never shipped a bike before but I almost always use the USPS for shipping. Will they ship something as big as a DH frame in a bike box?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I sure think so.

I received my Iron Horse Hollowpoint frame via USPS - and a DH frame isn't that much bigger than that - so yeah of course they will.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
oly said:
i wouldnt ever ship a large $$ item like that without the detailed trackign that fedex or ups provide.....
I can kind of see what you guys are saying. But at the same time, if USPS is cheaper, gets it there faster (which they almost always do) and provides the same level of insurance then why not go with them. Just a thought, maybe I will just go with fedex though.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Fedex ground. Much easier to deal with than UPS, and they are a bit more gentle.

USPS sucks ass for bikes.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have shipped a frame via USPS. Unless you are shipping overseas, go with UPS or FED EX. Way better tracking. USPS also might have some package size restrictions depending on where you are shipping. IMO USPS sucks for shipping large items.

Edit: No matter who you ship with pack the bike really well. Those packages get tossed and thrown around alot. Use lots of foam and bubble wrap, and a sturdy box. Don't trust the shipping company to treat your bike as well as you do.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
USPS will NOT ship a complete bike, you have to ship the frame and wheels in different boxes. They measue the box length, height, AND width and add those #'s up, and that # can't be more than 100 inches total. Seems pretty weird that a company that used to sponsor the one of the largest bike teams out there wont help bicyclists out. I found this out the hard way when I packed and lugged in a bike box during Christmas time two years ago and a lady practically jumped the counter to to tell me the box was to big. If you do ship via USPS they usally are cheaper especially if you ship overseas, BUT..... they have horrible tracking and the usually get bogged in customs.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I sell at least 4 bikes a month through Ebay and here...all kinds Road, Dh, trail, XC you name it...USPS does have size restrictions...so do all the others but that just means the rates go up...but with the USPS they will simply refuse the package. I would go with UPS, Fed-X or DHL...I have had good luck with all 3 of them. The only company that has ever lost or damaged one of my bikes was USPS....D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
F.O.G said:
USPS will NOT ship a complete bike, you have to ship the frame and wheels in different boxes. They measue the box length, height, AND width and add those #'s up, and that # can't be more than 100 inches total. Seems pretty weird that a company that used to sponsor the one of the largest bike teams out there wont help bicyclists out. I found this out the hard way when I packed and lugged in a bike box during Christmas time two years ago and a lady practically jumped the counter to to tell me the box was to big. If you do ship via USPS they usally are cheaper especially if you ship overseas, BUT..... they have horrible tracking and the usually get bogged in customs.
They do have restrictions, but I shipped a Yeti DH9 (Not the smallest frame out there) and a rear wheel together in the same box. I could have easily fit the front wheel and more parts in there too. The size restrictions depend on the destination. And customs is quick if you filled out the customs declaration correctly. The tracking is indeed horrible. My package got to England in 6 days, delivered to the recipients door. I would still use UPS or FedEx though if possible. USPS is do-able, but they suck.

Parcel Post: Maximum length: 60 inches
Maximum length and girth combined: 108 inches

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
dfinn said:
I've never shipped a bike before but I almost always use the USPS for shipping. Will they ship something as big as a DH frame in a bike box?
You should look into FedEx Ground, it's the cheapest I've found yet. It was something like $28.00 to ship my Karpiel Army frame (when he was still in business) back to the factory from CO (to Reno) w/ $3000.00 insurance. It only took 3 days too. Another to consider is DHL, but I'm not sure on the $$.
If you use UPS, I think you'll have to keep this measurement under 101": the longest side + around the shorter sides of the box. So, if it's a long tube, it's the circumference + the length. If it's bigger than 101", it's considered oversize and they'll really hit you then. Most bike boxes are within this measurement, but best to make sure. USPS has something simular, but I'm not sure on the measurement. If you use USPS, insure the crap out of it. They've lost over $200.00 worth of my stuff to date and they blame me for not insuring it.