Quantcast

will the recession solve the illegal immigration problem?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Saw this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/10/immigrants.economy/index.html

Brings up an interesting topic. With unemployment on the rise, day labor jobs (the most popular among illegals) have all but dried up. Although a mass exodus isn't taking place (yet), there has been enough of an increase in illegals returning home to take notice. However, with increased border security it is much harder to get back INTO the US once they have left, so many illegals are trying to tough it out.

This brings to debate what effect illegal immigration has had on the economy. With all these people here working and making money, a large number of them are sending this money (which is largely under the table, and hence UNTAXED) back to their home countries, its a double whammy draining the US economy (or it logically seems that way). Will a reduction in illegal immigrants working here help get the economy back on track?

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
illegal immigration is an international socioeconomic problem and an immigration law problem, not really a U.S. economy one.

If we let them bring their families in, then they wouldn't be sending money back home, they would pay income tax, and we wouldn't be criminalizing people trying to improve their lives by working hard.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
illegal immigration is an international socioeconomic problem and an immigration law problem, not really a U.S. economy one.

If we let them bring their families in, then they wouldn't be sending money back home, they would pay income tax, and we wouldn't be criminalizing people trying to improve their lives by working hard.
The discussion at hand is if/how/to what extent illegal immigration domestically has impacted our current economic situation. Keep on subject. Forget your ritalin today?

We're not criminalizing the fact that they are working hard to improve their lives, they are criminalizing themselves by choosing NOT to use the proper channels to enter our country as migrant workers.

edit: bringing their families to America would only compound the situation. the reason they come solo or in small groups is because at the wages they are making, they can barely afford to live in our country. Where as sending the money back to their home country is much more benefical to their families.

Last edited:

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
We're not criminalizing the fact that they are working hard to improve their lives, they are criminalizing themselves by choosing NOT to use the proper channels to enter our country as migrant workers.
They cannot get in through legal means.

Reason had a great flow chart documenting what it takes to get in legally

http://i38.tinypic.com/2e0vl6v.jpg

It is large so I'm not img linking it

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Around here, a lot of day labor used to go to construction that has all but gone away. There is an interesting article a while back about the economic impact the US recession has had on Mexico because the amount of money sent home has dried up.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Immigration reform is also another discussion.

Topic at hand: illegal immigration and its impact on the current US economic recession.
You made a topic on illegal immigration, and how it affects this recession, and the immigration system is relevant to this discussion.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You made a topic on illegal immigration, and how it affects this recession, and the immigration system is relevant to this discussion.
No, it isn't. While I'm not against discussing the immigration system and its mountains of flaws, this is a much more specific topic.

If you'd like to discuss the immigration system and immigration reform, please start another thread.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
No, it isn't. While I'm not against discussing the immigration system and its mountains of flaws, this is a much more specific topic.

If you'd like to discuss the immigration system and immigration reform, please start another thread.
No, stop being a controlling egomaniac just because you don't see the relation between our crap immigration system and its effect on the economy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No, stop being a controlling egomaniac just because you don't see the relation between our crap immigration system and its effect on the economy.
The flaws with the immigration system are part of a much larger discussion, and are beyond the scope of the topic I want to discuss here.

If you can validly relate the flaws of the immigration system to how illegal immigration has affected, for better or worse, the current economic recession in the US, I'm all ears. Up until now all you've essentially stated is "the immigration system is broken".

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
worst.
derailment.
evar.

try this:

Team India celebrates its victory over Sri Lanka in T20 match held in Colombo.

Buddhika Weerasinghe, Reuters

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
If you can validly relate the flaws of the immigration system to how illegal immigration has affected, for better or worse, the current economic recession in the US, I'm all ears. Up until now all you've essentially stated is "the immigration system is broken".
A lot of the argument is that they send money back home, but if their families were here, then they wouldn't send money back home

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
but we do let them bring their families in; it's just on our terms

our sovereignty doesn't exist at the pleasure of those who don't care to wait in line

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A lot of the argument is that they send money back home, but if their families were here, then they wouldn't send money back home
The underlying issue with illegal immigrants sending money back home is that since most of them are working off the books, Uncle Sam isn't getting his cut.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
The underlying issue with illegal immigrants sending money back home is that since most of them are working off the books, Uncle Sam isn't getting his cut.
Exactly, and if the immigration system wasn't screwed up, they would be legal, taxpaying workers on their way to citizenship

we let the families of illegal immigrants and those on work visas in? This is news to me

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

our sovereignty doesn't exist at the pleasure of those who don't care to wait in line
I'm sure glad the Indians let us come here from Europe in the first place. It would have sucked, otherwise.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Exactly, and if the immigration system wasn't screwed up, they would be legal, taxpaying workers on their way to citizenship
fixing the immigration system isn't going to be some magic wand that will automatically fix the problem. There will still be those who choose to enter the US and work illegally, regardless of their reasoning.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm sure glad the Indians let us come here from Europe in the first place. It would have sucked, otherwise.
they were much too busy eradicating their mormon problem, and along with it the entire archaeological & fossil record of only those animals depicted in the pearl of great price.

and here you thought those savages couldn't read (yet-to-be-printed) manuscripts

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
fixing the immigration system isn't going to be some magic wand that will automatically fix the problem. There will still be those who choose to enter the US and work illegally, regardless of their reasoning.
just like there are US citizens that don't pay their taxes, but it will significantly reduce the problem

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
just like there are US citizens that don't pay their taxes, but it will significantly reduce the problem
i can't imagine these are even on the same order. i tend to believe we overpay our taxes, mostly through not using ever flippin loophole