Quantcast

Will they fit ?

Sheemanhoe

Chimp
Jun 17, 2006
Hi,

What is the max size tire I can put on this bike ? The ones in the pictures are 26 X 2.1.

I would like to put 2.6 or 2.7 maxxis high rollers but I don't know if they will fit.

Also, do I need to buy new rims ? Or will the 2.6 or 2.7 fit on my original rims ?

Thanks,

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
By the looks of the photos, a 2.7 is too big. Some tire mfg's measure the casing and not the actual tread width.

What kind of riding do you want to do with this bike, and is the bike capable of handling the abuse you wish to deal to it?

If you just want a larger volume tire, then go with 2.35 size tires. I run those on my all mountain bike, and they improved the handling greatly from the 2.1's that came on the bike.

Sheemanhoe

Chimp
Jun 17, 2006
I kinda wanted that really beefy look for the bike, but i'll take your word and get some 2.35s or 2.4s.

I won't be jumping with the bike, i'll do some rock crawling/trailing/light dowhilling,because the frame is made out of aluminum, and I heard they are not to good for jumping due to flexibility.

What's a good brand I should get ? I was told that Kenda, Maxxis and Tioga's are pretty good.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Find out what everybody else is riding in your area. Personally, I like Kenda Nevegals and Panaracer Fires.

Just because the frame is aluminum doesn't mean you can't jump it. If the frame was designed for jumping, read burly, then it's OK. From the looks of the pics, the frame is at best an all mountain frame, which means its sturdier than a racing bike, but not strong enough for freeride or jumping.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sheemanhoe said:
I kinda wanted that really beefy look for the bike, but i'll take your word and get some 2.35s or 2.4s.

I won't be jumping with the bike, i'll do some rock crawling/trailing/light dowhilling,because the frame is made out of aluminum, and I heard they are not to good for jumping due to flexibility.

What's a good brand I should get ? I was told that Kenda, Maxxis and Tioga's are pretty good.
2.5 are huge and not really necessary for the kind of riding you plan on doing.

I run Timberwolves on my VP-Free, which has a dual crown fork and rear stays large enough to accomodate these tires.

I also have a Norco Torrent, a hardtail, which I have 2.5 Hookworms on. It is designed to handle this width tire, and I have as much clearance with these superwide tires as you do your 2.1's.

Try a 2.3 and I think you will be happy with the look and performance.

Sheemanhoe

Chimp
Jun 17, 2006
sanjuro said:
2.5 are huge and not really necessary for the kind of riding you plan on doing.

I run Timberwolves on my VP-Free, which has a dual crown fork and rear stays large enough to accomodate these tires.

I also have a Norco Torrent, a hardtail, which I have 2.5 Hookworms on. It is designed to handle this width tire, and I have as much clearance with these superwide tires as you do your 2.1's.

Try a 2.3 and I think you will be happy with the look and performance.
I kinda of wanted them a bit more for the look than the ride, but the ride is very important to me still. 2.3's will hardly make a difference, so I think I won't buy any.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sheemanhoe said:
I kinda of wanted them a bit more for the look than the ride, but the ride is very important to me still. 2.3's will hardly make a difference, so I think I won't buy any.
Yeah, they will.