Quantcast

Will this work?

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I'm a noob when it comes to these things, but I wanna give it a try. I figure on installing a extra 10/100 card in my fastest computer and using that to connect to my cable modem. I'd then use my built in 10/100 to connect to a switch linked up to the other 3 computers in my house. Will this work with WinXP?

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nice graphic ;)

You'll have to turn on internet connection sharing with your PC that's connected to the cable modem. I believe that's all you need to do - on the client PCs, you start a new network connection and there will be an option to search for shared internet connections.

Broadband routers are pretty cheap and will be faster and more reliable than a shared network connection, though. Plus you won't have to worry about your main computer being on and booted into Windows every time you want to use the internet on another computer.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Along with the intraweb, I also want to be able to share files and such. I'm tired of ferrying my ext. hdd. This setup should work double duty as a LAN and Ethernet right?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep. The Ethernet will work like it's supposed to with no configuration. If they're XP computers (I think Win2k does it too) they'll all automatically configure with automatic private IP addresses... I think that's the 169.254.xxx.xxx range if memory serves me.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Yep. The Ethernet will work like it's supposed to with no configuration. If they're XP computers (I think Win2k does it too) they'll all automatically configure with automatic private IP addresses... I think that's the 169.254.xxx.xxx range if memory serves me.
It serves you well.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Doods, thanks for the help. Everything worked out great. Now all I gotta do is find a way to hide the cat-5 so the better half approves.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rofl:

I have the same problem. Always gotta hide the wires. I can have as many as I want, as long as she doesn't have to see them.