Quantcast

will this work?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am looking into a TR450, but i find the geo a tad on the aggressive side(for my comfort and standards) I would like to get a works offset reducer cup (reversed to steepen the HA)

1.5" Lower (deep cup compatible) / 1-1/8" Cane Creek Integrated Compatible (drop in bearing)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that is what the TR450 has

Image of Works Components -1.0 NEW 2010 Giant Glory & Tapered Headtube Offset Reducer Cups
£79.99

Allowing the rider to reduce the head angle of their Tapered Headtube bike by 1.0 degrees.

(44mm ID Integrated upper - 55.95mm lower CK "Zero Stack")*

*E.g. Giant Glory - Giant Reign -

- Headcups are sold complete with Cane Creek IS3 bearings, races and a Works Components low stack upper bearing cover.
- Anodized Black finish with Works Components Logo
- Headset allows the use of 1 1/8" forks in a tapered 'zero stack' frame.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is what works components has to say

I am still oldschool with 1 1/8th standard headsets, so i am not sure what all this is. To my understanding, tapered is a 1.5 bottom and a 1 1/8th top? This should work? In addition, a works headset can be used backwards right?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Why not just make use of the geometry adjustments? Then you can steepen it right up.
along with raising the BB, and even the steepest is pretty slack, i ride a 65-64.5 right now and i wouldnt change a thing. Email will come soon assuming that nobody knows it on here

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
along with raising the BB, and even the steepest is pretty slack, i ride a 65-64.5 right now and i wouldnt change a thing. Email will come soon assuming that nobody knows it on here
I'd probably ride the bike first before you start messing w/the geometry.. just to save money/headache of playing w/those cups(not saying they suck, but if it ain't broke why fix it?)

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Demo... the angle of a works headset is based on the headtube length. for the works headset to work in reverse, two things would be necessary. the tr-450 would have to have a tapered headtube (i thought it was straight 1.5) and the headtube length would have to be IDENTICAL to the glory.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Demo... the angle of a works headset is based on the headtube length. for the works headset to work in reverse, two things would be necessary. the tr-450 would have to have a tapered headtube (i thought it was straight 1.5) and the headtube length would have to be IDENTICAL to the glory.
1. The TR450 is tapered.

2. No, the length doesn't have to be identical. I've run the Socom -1.5 degree cups in my Bottle Rocket for a couple years with no problems, and they don't have exactly the same head tube length. When I got them I worked out how far off the angle at which the bearing was supposed to sit would be off, and it was TINY. Like tighter tolerances than you can get the bearings to when installing them tiny. I forget the number, but I think I posted it in an old thread about the Works cups when they first came out.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Cool! :thumb:

So what would be the tolerance... maybe a 1/4"?

1. The TR450 is tapered.

2. No, the length doesn't have to be identical. I've run the Socom -1.5 degree cups in my Bottle Rocket for a couple years with no problems, and they don't have exactly the same head tube length. When I got them I worked out how far off the angle at which the bearing was supposed to sit would be off, and it was TINY. Like tighter tolerances than you can get the bearings to when installing them tiny. I forget the number, but I think I posted it in an old thread about the Works cups when they first came out.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
The TR450 is tapered BUT the top of the headtube is a drop in bearing. A cup is not needed so that kit will not work. As a TR450 rider who was coming off a Giant Reign X with about a 66 degree head angle, I can attest to the fact that while its pretty slack and low its easy to get used to. Bike rails.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The TR450 is tapered BUT the top of the headtube is a drop in bearing. A cup is not needed so that kit will not work. As a TR450 rider who was coming off a Giant Reign X with about a 66 degree head angle, I can attest to the fact that while its pretty slack and low its easy to get used to. Bike rails.
good to know, im definitely trying it first, but the idea of a 63 HA scares me

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It should still work, you'll just use the top bearing from the stock headset, not whatever comes with the Works one.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If i were to do that, how quickly do you think it would wear out and how crappy do u think it would feel, while maybe not alot, it should feel crappy from not lining up

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
If i were to do that, how quickly do you think it would wear out and how crappy do u think it would feel, while maybe not alot, it should feel crappy from not lining up
hey demo... after all this headache, you sure this is the bike you want? IIRC you are coming off a demo, a karpiel, and a canfield. why a SP bike? and why try and "fix" something? there are a million choices out there, I am sure there is another ride with a 1degree steeper headangle that fits your bill. why all the effort for a transition when its not really what you want?

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
good to know, im definitely trying it first, but the idea of a 63 HA scares me
I am running in the 64 HA setting and it feels great. And actually measures to 64 degrees using a wixy digital angle finder.

You cant just use the bottom cup, it wouldnt even work or if it did work briefly you would just destroy that top bearing quickly or warp the headtube.