Quantcast

Will WNY ever get lift access?

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
I moved from the Buffalo NY area a few years ago,so I wouldn't have to drive for hours for some DH. After reading an article about Buffalo in Decline(urban/trials), I was wondering if anyone was actively pursuing lift access there. As crazy as it sounds ,I'd certainly move back there if one of the ski hills in the south towns opened a lift.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
Swain has been running their lifts on and off for the last couple years and they're actually hosting a Gravity East race this year. Supposedly they're working with Tryon Bikes and are going to run the lifts more and do some trail building. I live in Fairport and when I go there I don't even bring my DH bike though. I take my MKIII or my hardtail even and it still only takes less than two minutes top to bottom. So I'm not sure how they're going to have a Gravity East. I always thought Bristol could be fun. They have pretty decent vertical and the terrain looks like they could do something with it for bikes. But they have always been behind the times...they were the last mountain to allow snowboards in probably all of NY and I used to get my pass taken regularly for jumping at all on skis so...they'll never do it. Lame.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Swain has been running their lifts on and off for the last couple years and they're actually hosting a Gravity East race this year. Supposedly they're working with Tryon Bikes and are going to run the lifts more and do some trail building. I live in Fairport and when I go there I don't even bring my DH bike though. I take my MKIII or my hardtail even and it still only takes less than two minutes top to bottom. So I'm not sure how they're going to have a Gravity East. I always thought Bristol could be fun. They have pretty decent vertical and the terrain looks like they could do something with it for bikes. But they have always been behind the times...they were the last mountain to allow snowboards in probably all of NY and I used to get my pass taken regularly for jumping at all on skis so...they'll never do it. Lame.
it's not how much elevation you have, it's how well you use it :thumb:

random swain note: is the guy who drove the van with the wood burning stove still around? i remember going down there and doing shuttles in his van for mud fest a few times.

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
Blue Mtn in Ontario was about a four hour drive. Or more if your held up at the border/customs... Used to be well worth the drive, but not realistic (for me at least) to go every weekend.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
My friends and I have been thinking the same thing about Bristol for years. It would be nice if Bristol would start some sort of mtn biking program in the summer but I highly doubt they will anytime soon.

I hadn't heard about Swain hosting a race this year. Might go down and watch the race if I'm around that weekend.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Obby, no.

Old Man, Southern Ontario is basically flat like Kansas other than the Niagara Escarpment(100-200") and the bluff or escarpment they call Blue Moutain. Been there a few times and once with rgunn(obby), it's pretty lame.

Buffalo Mike and I have many stories about Scott AKA Father Time(creepy guy with teal bike and wood burning stove in his creeper van) but can't tell them here.

Jon, I have not been to swain in a year but the lack of evelvation did make it pretty boring. Bristol would be awesome!

I have heard rumors that Holimont in Elicottvile, NY might be working in some gravity stuff. I know for sure Kissing Bridge has no plans. I wish it was not the case, I live a 1/4 mile from the parking lot. At least I have skiing nd trail riding aty front door

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
I wanted to hear about how Boogenman talked K.B. into building a trail network, and will be set to open soon.... But instead, maybe I'll get to hear a good "Father Time" story.....

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I wanted to hear about how Boogenman talked K.B. into building a trail network, and will be set to open soon.... But instead, maybe I'll get to hear a good "Father Time" story.....
I used to work @ KB, I've ridden down south on a shovel in the winter, and ridden up south on my motorcycle... shhhhh. ;)

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I have heard rumors that Holimont in Elicottvile, NY might be working in some gravity stuff.
I had a chat with the safety coordinator for Holimont this winter, ran into him at the brewery in town, super nice guy. I asked him about this and he said there were no plans. The dollar is the bottom line there, so it would have to make good financial sense, and so far the pennies don't add up.