Quantcast

williamsburg va (very large post) new trail pics

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
here are some of my pics of the new fr type stuff in williamsburg. there are pics from multiple angles

sorry for the number of pics but all this got done in 2 week ends and it ligit

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
this is at a public park so it had to be built to the LOWEST common denominator...you have to crawl before you can walk.

the elevated section next to the haybails is 7' tall as it is how much bigger can you realistically expect it?

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
It looks really well built and everything looks very strudy. I have one question why is everything so small? there look to be no drops, no teeter, no roller coasters and nothing above five feet tall. Correct me if im wrong. Ohh yeah and that table is like a bumb

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the tallest thing is at a min. 7 feet tall. also they are at a park designed around xc and they are letting us use the park to biuld things like this. more is to come but we must let peoples skill grow before we biuld anything too cool. btw most of the stuff is 2.5-4 feet all the gound the narrower stuff (1 foot wide) is about 18" high. also the berm is sweet tight and lets you carry speed

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Looks well built, that's for sure. Question though... Why's it so low? I kid! I kid!

Seriously though, were you guys told that you had to make it all boardwalk and not cut new trail through the woods? I ask because with all that wood you could, in theory, spread it out along a longer stretch of trail if the whole thing wasn't end-to-end ladders.

I'm curious now whether or not Baltimore (the county, not the city) would be receptive to the idea of trails back in one particular park about 5 minutes from my house. The terrain is already pretty rugged with several marked bike/walk trails scattered around a stream ravine. Don't think there would be enough people to justify it though, but who knows.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
the 'sales pitch' for getting this stuff done in the first place was that it would be kept right next to the parking lot for quick/easy access
to medical attention.

any stunts that we are going to build 'in trail' have to be very close to the emergency extraction points that are located throughout the
trail

having said that, there are a few tasty log rides that are going to be
built

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
I'm in for a good ride so who in the C-ville area is up for hitting Williamsburg this weekend? Charlie, Matt, Corby, others??? Gimme a scream if you are up for it!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
When I get up there I am more then down to help out. I did a lot of this sort of building in New Orleans, including a monster teeter (7' tall, 24' long) that SURVIVED Katrina.

Can we build in natural drops into this trail? We were doing 44" stuff in NOLA off the sides of the trail, worked out pretty good.

If you can keep this going, I wrote a pretty good IMBA/Kona grant application that we won last year. I am sure with this foundation I can get us the $1000 from them, though I am loathe to deal with IMBA.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Damn Mongo, could you have put more pics all together? :D

Looks like you guys are starting something good out there! Let me know when you are building, I'm am totally down, and have an 18v wireless DeWalt kit. Once I get my knee brace, i'll be up for riding too :thumb:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
What happens if you fall off and stick an ankle between 2 hay bails? Looks like a good way to snap an ankle to me. I think I'd rather just fall on the ground and roll.

Otherwise, I think it looks awesome! Good work.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Looks like excellent work, lots of fun and a great starting place for better things to come.

Nice job

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
now what youins got rite thar is the damn fine beginins of a skeeeeels park.

i would however move those hay bails from the side of that roller. flat ground is waaaaay better to land on than some hay bails that are gonna deteriorate, roll around on ya and break your leg.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
New Quarter Park (Redoubt Run)

From I-64 take exit 242A on to Route 199. After about a mile look for large green sign "(143) Williamsburg" and
take that exit bearing right onto Merrimac Trail for about a mile or two heading toward Williamsburg. Turn right at the traffic

light past the 7-11 onto Penniman Drive go just pass the school and take the next left onto Hubbard Lane. After about 1 mile+
you’ll go under a small overpass, just after that turn right onto Lakeshead Drive. There is a green sign for New Quarter Park

at the intersection of Hubbard and Lakeshead. Lakeshead Drive ends at the park (a little over a mile). Go through gate, follow service road ~1 to the end. You can see the bridges from the parking lot.

There is also a pretty sweet xc trail too. It's 5.5 miles long and has nice swoopy/twisty sections. It's quite covered with leaves now but still makes for a fun ride if you don't mind a little bit of 2 wheel drift here and there.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
The double black diamond made me laugh. Not because it's obviously not double black stuff only the cods-of-freeride could touch (that goes without saying and isn't that funny) but because they'll later have to do triple and quadruple diamond if they build anything more technical?

Hey, it made me laugh anyways. On the inside. And it was a little laugh.

Actually it was probably just gas.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
bethesdabullit said:
is that a drop into the tabletop?
its not a drop, but the ramp is angled at 32 deg so you get a good run into the table.

Bearmntpicnic said:
It looks really well built and everything looks very strudy. I have one question why is everything so small? there look to be no drops, no teeter, no roller coasters and nothing above five feet tall. Correct me if im wrong. Ohh yeah and that table is like a bumb
it looks small in the pic because it is small. you have to realize this is a public park, xc oriented, and the FIRST time anything like this has been allowed in this area.

Sir_Crackien said:
so ridetoofast you like the pics?
yep :thumb:

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Looks like excellent work, lots of fun and a great starting place for better things to come. Nice job

biggins said:
now what youins got rite thar is the damn fine beginins of a skeeeeels park.

i would however move those hay bails from the side of that roller. flat ground is waaaaay better to land on than some hay bails that are gonna deteriorate, roll around on ya and break your leg.
thanks for the advice, i will pass it on to the pres. i am going to see if i cant just make big piles of dirt there...yeah thats it big piles of dirt with nice angles to them.
thats what we're trying to do. as long as the end of the world doesn't result from what we've got so far, i'll try to get skinnys, teeters, coasters, wall ride, etc... built.