Quantcast

Willingen Updates-World Cup 3

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yeah...Peaty's results make good totals. Overall is what it's about. If you can't win, stay away from the tackling dummies courseside and add up points.
Now...just imagine if they did like NASCAR and at season's end zero'ed everybody's points out and had them start from ZERO for the overall.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
bizutch said:
Yeah...Peaty's results make good totals. Overall is what it's about. If you can't win, stay away from the tackling dummies courseside and add up points.
Now...just imagine if they did like NASCAR and at season's end zero'ed everybody's points out and had them start from ZERO for the overall.

You win the award for killing a good thread...
You said 'nascar'

It stinks in here now ;)

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
biker3 said:
Thats clever, that helmet is dope. Product of TLD custom paint right? Also, just saw this for the millionth time. Death grip bitches.
By all accounts, you didn't need to brake for the first 50 seconds and the bottom was no different, the only bit that looked anything like DH track was the middle. Effectively a 2 minute sprint race, no wonder there were some lighter bikes pulled out.

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
yet peaty still smashed them while he was on a v10... not a short travel bike.

I hope he keeps it up. Even number years seem to do him good...

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Right folks, just got home yesterday night, just turned on the computer now.

Willingen WC was an interesting weekend, definetley learned a lot about stuff I thought I already knew.

Right I'll start with the negatives, certain aspects of the organisation of the whole weekend were bad, the guys at the Ski-lift station where assholes all weekend, everytime you wanted to go up they wanted your ski-lift pass, even though you had a big mountainbike with a big fat UCI WORLDCUP number on it. The lifts themselves where super slow, walking pace, not much can be done about that but what could have been sorted was some better way of carrying the bikes. Basically your pedal rested on the side of the chair and one of the lift operators threw a flimsy strap around the bike to hold it on, needless to say a few straps broke and many a rider went to grap 6k of metal before it fell to some icy German ground.

But it wasn't as bad as I amke it sound, you just got used to it.

As for the track, it was DH BMX, a bit **** really, it was enjoyable to ride and fun to session with your mates but as a World Cup track it was a joke.

It was not Downhill, it was not technical and the jumps on the lower "slopes" were soooo dodgy. Right that's enough negatives I sound like a whiney whore!

The racing and gossip:

4x first, I got up to see the last few heats and the semis/finals. There was some good racing, the BMXers had a good advantage in the last rhythm/pump/roll/manual section. That is where Graves nearly lost the race, I mean he came withen a gnats tit ot losing to Wichman. Graves fooked up the step-up/step-down thing and he was super lucky not to get ****ed in the ass.

I thought Prokop had it in the bag all weekend but his gate was poor in the final and Graves got the hole-shot leading out Prokop and the rest, Prokop over cooked the rhythm section trying to pass Graves and nearly ate ****!

DH:

Right the higlight of practice had to be the 30ft hip thing in the , Minnaar hit it first in Fridays practice with most of the top 30 to follow, Peat never hit it, he just wall-rode around the edge and WON!

In Saturdays timed practice David Vasquez hot the big hip and landed still hipping, flew into the forest skimming a lot of trees on the way, he nearly died, it was fun.

Matti Lehikoinen had some real funky moments in practice clipping front and rear wheels of rocks trying to gap 15foot of the top of a big drop. It was interesting stuff. Dave Wardell crashed in his race after over cooking the big hip.

Peat was a legend all weekend, it was experience and power that ruled in Willingen and the results showed that. Bryn Atkinson was in the hotseat forever, after a slow quali he stormed the race run, the same as Fort Bill. Once Gee came down with his killer time and a lot of top guys couldn't touch it, a lot of us thought he had the win in the bag, but Minnaar and Peat were flying, Peat is OLD and he still has so much in the tank, it is great to watch even in Germany he was a crowd fav (unlike in Fort Bill were a lot of French riders got booed, which was bad form.........lager louts for you).

The timing went down for about ten riders during seeding, and for a long time a few unknowns had dodgy times of 1.36 and stuff, but the Germans sorted it and it was all good.

Now the good stuff, Sunday night, the Bauhaus...free Beer and food for the riders, FREE! I was happy, drank loads, eat dodgy German food, drank more had a dodgy arse in the morning. After the Bauhaus the party went to the S-lift a dodgy bar half way up the race hill, with skilfits inside and beer till 6am with plenty of AC-DC and Mike Jackson to keep the Dancefloor interesting. The only other riders that got this far were Gracia and Van-Dine. Crazy night, 4miles to walk home too!

I'm sure I could think of more stories and news but typing is hardwork. Emmmm most of the teams are off to Andorra for the Maxxis Cup this weekend then on to Vermont and Mt Saint Anne. Brendan Fairclough, Ben Reid, Peat, G-Cross and many others should be at Vermont, so it should make it a very interesting Norba for you guys.

Thanks to Jeff "bikenweed" Kendall for being our little Slocal guard dog for the weekend and a cheers to Derek Chambers and Amy too.

Schladming is a ways away yet but I'm itching already!

Dave the race organiser in Willingen needs a shout out for the free beer! Cheers!

Weiner Schintzel FOEVER!!!!!!!!!!!
There where a few bikes robbed on Sat night and a truck stopped on the Austrian border with 120 bikes on board... all stolen.

Later honkeys! I have some videos I will put up later.

Any questions just ask!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
They still run the lift like that - crazy.

I was the same way when I was there in 2002 and they lift guys were old and unfriendly.

Fun writeup!

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Scary thing is, they run the lift like that all year.
The same guys are there and they are allways grumpy as hell.
That lift is the main reason we dont go there a lot even though its only 3 hours from my house.
The 4x is awsome, the DH has potential when its dry but you can only do a couple runs a day if you want to ride sections.
They can even speed the lift up but they dont just to keep bikers away.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Kevin said:
Scary thing is, they run the lift like that all year.
The same guys are there and they are allways grumpy as hell.
That lift is the main reason we dont go there a lot even though its only 3 hours from my house.
The 4x is awsome, the DH has potential when its dry but you can only do a couple runs a day if you want to ride sections.
They can even speed the lift up but they dont just to keep bikers away.

did you do it proud and raise hell like we did last year ??

more german rain eh... keep it... sunny everyday here and in the 70s - 80s

come hang sometime kev...

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Shutup ya bastad. 2 days of sun in the last week and a half I think.... This weekend at snow should make last weekends Platty race seem like a dustbowl. :rofl: Going to go put on the mud tires and make a ghetto mud flap. I can't wait to get out west and actually not have to rebuild my bike every day.

partsbara said:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sayndesyn said:
Shutup ya bastad. 2 days of sun in the last week and a half I think.... This weekend at snow should make last weekends Platty race seem like a dustbowl. :rofl: Going to go put on the mud tires and make a ghetto mud flap. I can't wait to get out west and actually not have to rebuild my bike every day.
whenever mate... just lemme know..

i m off to korea in a week... 3 weeks then i ll be back

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
partsbara said:

We had fun fridays but Ollie and Steve 0 werent there so it wasnt like last year.
Then again. I dont really know what the **** happend last year :rofl:
4x was awsome, couple friends of mine got 2nd and 6th place so we were all super stoked.
Didnt even stay for the downhill sunday and went riding in Winterberg.
Riding is allways better watching someone ride, and after 2 days of watching I had enough of it.

Talk too ya soon!