Quantcast

wilson's guide help weekend of Dec. 4th

jager

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
Anybody interested in showing myself and my sister/brother-in-law a shuttle run or two in wilson's around the Dec 4th weekend? I'm headed up there for my birthday and hope to get some climbing (rock) in at stone mountain or linville. We'll be staying in Lenoir. I have been trying to get up to wilson's for a while and would love to fit a run or two in. Could probably find some of the trails, but would be awesome to have some more info or even a person nice enough to show us the primo stuff. I can provide some beer and other refreshments, maybe even a sweet crash from yours truly for your services.

Thanks,
Matt

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Wilson Creek isn't a place you want to go pioneering. A few of the trails can be stumbled upon easily, but most of the goods are just out of sight of the common eye. PM me next week sometime, I'm always down for a ride when life allows.

jager

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
Cool thanks for responding guys. I'll PM you both next week after I've awoken from my tryptophan induced coma.

bmbass

Chimp
Sep 20, 2010
Hippyville, NC
Speaking of...we should do a Lake Lure run this weekend or Moses Creek to Wayehuta if you're interested. Where's motobecane?
Just saw this, was out of town all weekend. Gonna PM you my email, just got the trail bike up and running and trying to log some miles. Looks like **** weather this week though.

jager

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
While I'm waiting to here back from these guys, anyone else interested in a wilson's ride on sat or sun? Does anyone have some gps tracks of some of the trails at wilson's that they would be willing to PM me?

It's only about 85% likely right now, but I'm thinking about going sat morning into early afternoon. If so it's looking like a solo trip, so I would welcome help with a shuttle for a show around.

They're calling for 40% chance of mixed rain and snow, high 39. Still in?

Next question is how many peps? I would be maxxed at five + bikes over tailgate.

I'll know for sure by tomorrow afternoon.

jager

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
Yeah we are still in, I like the cold. I rode farlow gap in around the same conditions a few years back. Had a couple of nice falls due to the wet leaves and rock but had a blast. Got to see my brother-in-law have a get off or two which is extremely rare.

There will only be 3 of us. My sister's car has a four bike hitch mount so we would be good either way. I found a gps track for raspberry, greentown, beehive ride so I put that into my GPS and we may try that if no one else comes. I have driven up to table rock many times to climb and camp so I think I sort of know the where-abouts of the trail head.

Sounds cool, I think I'll be able to work it out. I'll PM you early afternoon tomorrow to let you know for sure + cell #.

I would be thinking 8:30- 9:00 Sat morning. Hope that is in the neighborhood of what you where thinking.

bmbass

Chimp
Sep 20, 2010
Hippyville, NC
Update. Just did a text message dance. Have myself, motobutane, and one of our buddies in. You guys PM me your numbers and we'll determine a place to meet. There isn't dick for service in/around trails there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Update. Just did a text message dance. Have myself, motobutane, and one of our buddies in. You guys PM me your numbers and we'll determine a place to meet. There isn't dick for service in/around trails there.
got your message. Working on the wife. I actually may be cornered since there are no birthday parties for them to attend tomorrow. :p

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I'd love to go, but dont want to drive for two hours for rain. Cold and wet are not a good mix, I'd pay for it a couple days later likely getting sick.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'd love to go, but dont want to drive for two hours for rain. Cold and wet are not a good mix, I'd pay for it a couple days later likely getting sick.
My reason is less glamorous. Wife's got 2 exams to study for and the grandparents didn't want me dropping the girls off at 8am "just to go play on a bike".:rolleyes:

FYI to locals, Frugal Backpacker is selling Sierra Designs waterproof rain jackets for $15.00 right now. I regret passing that deal up. Would seem like a great investment for this supposedly "mild" winter we are going to have.:D

I ended up making it a solo trip. Just means a lot more climbing that way. Got started a lot earlier too. I was on the bike at 7:20 this morning, that's leaving out of Gboro at 5:00. Conditions were still good. They had a little dusting last night but that's it. Judging by the snow we are getting here at home right now, I'm guessing it's a mess up there now.

Seems now that I'm 40, you know with family/job and all, I gotta go every chance I get or I wouldn't get up there very much.

Maybe we can make the group thing work out next time, just wasn't meant to be this time around.

jager

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
Damn Skyboss, I should have called you back. I wanted to go sat. morning but my sister and brother-in-law weren't into it. I wasn't going to climb back to the car so I decided to abort. I was going to call you back on the way up on Friday, then my phone died. We'll all have to try again later. I'll be up in asheville for christmas from the 21st until the around new years. I'll be in lenoir for christmas eve and day. Anyone interested in ride around christmas?

It was probably for the better away, I have been sick for the last week and I'm just now starting to get over it. I probably would have bronchitis or pneumonia if I went out in the cold and wet. Probably would have been worth it though.

Last edited: