Quantcast

wilsons

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
ok thanks, is there anyway to get to the top of hawksbill without going down SMP or climbing up hawksbill?

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Easy with the trail names especially the gorge, those trails are strictly off limits to bikes.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
It's all good I am not trying to be a dick in any way, nor am I trying to resurrect any past arguments. All of Linville Gorge is strictly off limits to bikes because it is a Wilderness Study area and home to a multitude of sensitive habitats. Climbing in certain areas right now is still off limits for the season because of Peregrine Falcon nesting.
As far as the rest of Wilson Creek goes the only trails officially legal to ride bikes on are: Wilson Ridge tr269(overgrown, lots of blow downs), Woodruff Branch tr256, Schoolhouse Ridge, Thorpes Creek, and Sand Mtn tr251(never ridden it, don't even know if it still exists). However, riding the rest of the trails are unofficially tolerated as long as no illegal building or excessive misuse goes on. Unfortunately some building has been going on drawing a lot of attention.
We are trying to adopt Wilson trails via www.boonearecyclists.com in hope of having a legitimate legal trail network. I also just heard today that the bike park slated for the ridge behind University Nissan in Boone is a go (unconfirmed but from a reliable source).

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Any DH or freeride stuff planned for the new park?
I'm good friends with some of the founders of Boone area cyclist and they do want to put in a one way DH specific trail at Rocky Knob. I haven't seen the terrain first hand but I hear that it's very rocky (hence the name I guess). As far as freeride goes I don't they plan on building any big stunts, but they do plan on having a pump track/ Skills area. I hope to be helping out with trail construction later in the process (anyone can help once they start holding volunteer days) so I'll be sure to put in a good word for some log rides, rock drops etc. :thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I'm good friends with some of the founders of Boone area cyclist and they do want to put in a one way DH specific trail at Rocky Knob. I haven't seen the terrain first hand but I hear that it's very rocky (hence the name I guess). As far as freeride goes I don't they plan on building any big stunts, but they do plan on having a pump track/ Skills area. I hope to be helping out with trail construction later in the process (anyone can help once they start holding volunteer days) so I'll be sure to put in a good word for some log rides, rock drops etc. :thumb:
what about hucks to flat? i love hucks to flat ;)

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah dude. Done deal. Apparently the Friends of Wilson Creek group has been wanting an updated map for a while now, so I'm gonna do it as my GIS internship for school.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Yeah dude. Done deal. Apparently the Friends of Wilson Creek group has been wanting an updated map for a while now, so I'm gonna do it as my GIS internship for school.
Sweet, cant ya just kinda you know designate appropriate trails as MTB?

Just saying