Quantcast

win2K and service packs

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
in my cursed existence, computers continue to plague me. after my wireless issue, i decided to upgrade my wireless hardware to class G + SpeedBooster stuff. i wanted to just swap out my wireless card on my lesser used laptop 1st, so i stopped the class b wireless card, pulled it out, and inserted the linksys cd for setup of the WPC54GS wireless card for notebooks. i ran the setup, but got some sort of windows error pop up saying something to the effect that i didn't have the latest service pack installed (something about encryption, i can't recall the details). i checked and i had service pack 1 installed, and there were at least 2 others released after that, for Win2K.

so i installed service pack 2, and my machine's toast. it won't even let me into safe mode...i select safe mode and then it starts, goes to a blue screen w/ some writing that clears so fast i can't even read it, and then restarts. it does this in a loop; i finally had to pull the AC power and battery out of it to stop it.

any suggestions?

and if i'm brave enough to swap the router w/ the new one (WRT54GS), what do i need to know (ie, MAC address, IP address, crap like that)?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The Win2k machine is toasted if it won't let you into safe mode. Probably more trouble than it's worth - just reinstall the OS. If there's nothing you need on it, format it and reinstall, but if you've got data you need to pull off, just do a reinstall, pull the files you need, and format it.

You don't need to know much about the new router. It'll have a default IP address which the documentation will inform you of, and you can log into it. All you need to know to start with is the default IP, and everything else will either be available or customizable inside the setup.

It'll broadcast a default SSID of "linksys" which can be changed or just used the way it is.