Quantcast

Win7 Which Version

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
So I'm back looking for a new laptop. Which version of windows 7 should I be looking for. I've always gone with the professional versions of the software to make it easier for work, but not really sure what each new version affords.

The list is

Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Home Professional
Windows 7 Home Ultimate
Plus there are options for the Professional and Ultimate to have XP Mode​

I'm also wondering about the Intel Core i3/i5/i7 chips.

Thoughts?

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
if it's for work, go with the Professional version as it has added network functionality missing on all but Ultimate. Ultimate is just not worth the beans. honestly.
Also, take the 64-bit version, and do your best to max out your memory slots. Jam in as much as your laptop can take.
XP mode is as you said, available in all versions from the Pro up . However, even 64-bit win7 is pretty awesome at dealing with older programs, even if 32-bit.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard
:stosh:

Riding; MS has a pretty useful comparison table:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

For me, I'd say the choice comes down to: do you want XP mode, and do you want to be able to join to a domain? If the answer to either one is yes, go with Pro. If you don't care about them, go with Home.

Or, if you need Media Center, you can go Ultimate. Media Center is pretty but there's nothing you can do with it that you can't do with independent programs.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
:stosh:

Riding; MS has a pretty useful comparison table:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

For me, I'd say the choice comes down to: do you want XP mode, and do you want to be able to join to a domain? If the answer to either one is yes, go with Pro. If you don't care about them, go with Home.

Or, if you need Media Center, you can go Ultimate. Media Center is pretty but there's nothing you can do with it that you can't do with independent programs.
If you want something for Home that isn't Vista on crack Snow lep will love you long time

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you want something for Home that isn't Vista on crack Snow lep will love you long time
How is Snow Leopard anything other than a previous MacOS incarnation "on crack"?

edit: d'oh! Sniped.

Also, if the OP wanted an operating system for retards and flamers, he would have asked for one :weee:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Look out for hackers, though...
Speak of the devil - in the news yesturday.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Mac-OS-X-safer-but-less-secure-Update-957981.html

The approximately 20 zero-day holes are contained in closed source Apple products, said Miller. "OS X has a large attack surface consisting of open source components (i.e. webkit, libz, etc), closed source 3rd party components (Flash), and closed source Apple components (Preview, mdnsresponder, etc). Bugs in any of these types of components can lead to remote compromise", he emphasised.

In cracking competitions, it is regularly the Apple systems which are cracked first by attackers. Miller has argued for some time that Mac OS X is among the comparatively insecure operating systems. Apple users are currently "safer, but less secure", he said. While malware authors don't concern themselves with the relatively small number of Apple users, Miller said, the size of the market share is no longer a valid argument in targeted attacks such as operation Aurora: "Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town."

In Miller's experience, Apple's position in terms of security continues to be quite relaxed: "They sell lots of computers and nobody doesn't buy Apple computers because of a perceived lack of security. So in their minds, they don't have a security problem until it affects their bottom line, which hasn't been the case, yet", said the expert.