Quantcast

wind rock TN on feb. 9th

Jul 9, 2007
hey guys,
My brother and I are going to be in the Knoxville area this weekend visiting some family. We were considering hitting up wind rock on saturday.
Neither of us have dedicated down hill rigs but will be using our 6" AM bikes. Maybe a bit too light for the trail but I plan on taking it easy anyway.
Any idea how trail conditions will be after the rain early this week?

if anyone wants to get together and run some shuttles that would be awesome. Like I said, we wont be on full DH rigs so I doubt we will be able to keep up with many of the locals but it would be nice to ride with some people who know the trails.

later,
Adam

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
two new trails are in the general vicinity, and one (when fully finished) will be more condusive to bikes with less than full on dh bike suspension travel. +/- 6".

that trail in particular can be used for climbing as well.
(for those so inclined.)

more details when it's time to ride.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
hey guys,
My brother and I are going to be in the Knoxville area this weekend visiting some family. We were considering hitting up wind rock on saturday.
Neither of us have dedicated down hill rigs but will be using our 6" AM bikes. Maybe a bit too light for the trail but I plan on taking it easy anyway.
Any idea how trail conditions will be after the rain early this week?

if anyone wants to get together and run some shuttles that would be awesome. Like I said, we wont be on full DH rigs so I doubt we will be able to keep up with many of the locals but it would be nice to ride with some people who know the trails.

later,
Adam
Doug (WR local) just got a 6" travel Mbuzi so I'm sure he can show you a few trails while he's "testing"....

Jul 9, 2007
I was told by some people over on mtbr that they guys a wind rock are pretty strict and may not even let us ride if we show up without full DH rigs.
is this true?

hamburglar13

Chimp
Nov 4, 2007
Knoxville
I was told by some people over on mtbr that they guys a wind rock are pretty strict and may not even let us ride if we show up without full DH rigs.
is this true?
That is not true. Just know that it is some pretty rough terrain if you have not ridden downhill yet. Also, though not actually required, a full face helmet is highly recommended.

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
yo pedro!
just come ride man......
heres pretty much the deal........yah need atleast a 7'' travel bike to really have a good time out there..but hell if yah got a mountain bike come check it out...
a full face with some body armor would be a good idea....but i ride out there all the time with just a helmet and knee pads...
just make sure yah get a permit when ya show up...

Jul 9, 2007
Ive ridden some downhill before.
I've done lift assisted stuff at snowshoe WV on this bike (at that point it was actually built much lighter than currently) as well as Champery, Switzerland (rented a DH rig there).
There is also a small DH course in Louisville, KY which I have been frequenting. Not nearly as big as the stuff I've seen from the videos of Wind Rock but with several okay sized (2-3 feet tall and 8 or so feel long) doubles and table top jumps with a couple of drops in it.

As far as the armor, I have a full face helmet and I usually wear my motocross torso armor.

thanks for the info guys, when I read that on mtbr I was pretty pissed but I guess someone is miss informed. Hopefully I'll be there this saturday.

peace

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
We have more and more folks riding the Rock on 6" All Mtn bikes. Of course they can't go as fast as full DH rigs, but with all the work that has been done on the Windmill Trail, it is much more enjoyable on smaller bikes now. You'll have a good time. Look up some locals and they will show you the trails. The trails now have signage, so finding all the good stuff is much easier.

C-los

Chimp
Sep 26, 2005
Hey, read the info so I wanted to be sure about this. The Rock is OK to come up and ride now? I want to come up and ride in a few weeks (March). What trails are open? I haven't ridden there since last summer and can't wait to check it out again. :clapping:

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Come ride when you want. None of the trails are closed, just keep in mind that they don't dry as quickly this time of year and following some of the colder nights it gets downright nasty in places.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
OK, it just looks a little different. Guess you guys rebuilt the lip.

Lemme guess - you can now go straight from Middle Finger to trail 1 where MF makes a hard left and goes stfd towards the two big rock wallride thingies?

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Not exactly Jeff. If you take Snakerock to where the cow skull is continue west across the top of the old Dark Hollow trail, cross the old atv trail 14, go more/less straight over to Middlefinger coming out between that rock drop and the rock berm. Then as you come up to that next little g-out you veer off to the right towards trail 1. There should be an alternate route eventually too.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Killer. Sounds like aside from the gap itself, that'd be a very good benign/first timer run as far as bypassing some of the harder elements of all the trails involved.

Jul 9, 2007
So yesterday at Wind Rock was awesome! Thanks for the tips on the best trails to ride and great work on the trails. I'll definitely be back when I have a more capable bike.

Maybe next time I'll see if I can give one of those morewoods a run to see how I'd like it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So yesterday at Wind Rock was awesome! Thanks for the tips on the best trails to ride and great work on the trails. I'll definitely be back when I have a more capable bike.

Maybe next time I'll see if I can give one of those morewoods a run to see how I'd like it.
perhaps you can give the fellas over at MTBR a better perspective now. :D

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Glad you guys got to come down Saturday, Adam.

A few more from today. If we keep gettin' more of this weather, we may have to put further work on hold.