Quantcast

Winderz Guru's: SSDP Discovery?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I was trying to install the active tv server software and it says I need to enable SSDP Discovery Service. But it's not listed in Services. So I went looking for it and Microsoft says I need to enable Internet Gateway Device and UPnP User Interface under "Networking Services". When I checked, both items were marked, so I unchecked them, rebooted and rechecked them. No luck.

Microsoft says:
For the UPnP architecture to work in Windows XP, the Internet gateway device must appear in Network Connections.
It's not there. Now what? Thanks.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Would that keep it from being listed as an available service? Seems like it would still be listed, just stopped.

I will check that when I get home and stuff. Thanks, BV.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The firewall is only going to do one thing: block access to ports. It's not going to stop or hide services. If the UPnP service is on, your router is UPnP capable, and it's not appearing in your Network, then it's likely that the communication packets are getting blocked.

You said in your first post that the services were there, though?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
UPnP and Internet Gateway Device are selected under "Network Services" located in Add/Remove Windows Components, yes.

But in Admin Tools> Services, there is no SSDP service to start/stop.

Does that make sense?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks again, BV. I will give that a go tonight. I went through a ton of various steps on how it's supposed to work, but nothing did. I don't have my XP cd because all my office crap is packed for the move.