Quantcast

Windham Mnt To Host 2010 MTB World Cup finals

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
WINDHAM, New York--Windham Mountain, New York, becomes the first mainland USA venue since 1992 to host the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup finals, when a multi-discipline event, including cross country, downhill and four cross will conclude the 2010 series, August 28-29.

The last time a world cup mountain bike event took place in the USA was 2005, when the series visited Angel Fire resort in New Mexico. In 1996, the finals venue was Honolulu, Hawaii, and in 1992 the finals venue for the cross country was Vail, Colorado.

Windham Mountain hosted a national series event in 2008, and then again earlier in 2009. Tim Woods, the president and general manager of Windham Mountain, said: "When we were awarded the World Cup finals, we knew it would be critical to develop partnerships with professionals who have ‘been there and done that.’ The margin for error is zero. We worked with Blue Wolf Events last year on the East Coast Nationals and it was immediately clear that their experience, organization and attention to detail are the perfect fit for us. They will be a big part of ensuring that the World Cup’s return to the United States is a success."

Will be good to have a WC race back in the states!

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
already raced on the course, but from what i hear changes will be made at the top section...

hopefully the winner doesnt get a pint glass.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Windham did learn more than a few things from the last event. Checks were mailed to the pros by the mountain alone within days following the GES event. I confirmed this with the mountain and the riders that received them from Windham. They did attend the MSA WC event and now know what is expected fo their 2010 WC Finals. Hiring a professional promoter and accurate timing company is a very smart move for the upcoming UCI Category 1 race.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Windham did learn more than a few things from the last event. Checks were mailed to the pros by the mountain alone within days following the GES event. I confirmed this with the mountain and the riders that received them from Windham. They did attend the MSA WC event and now know what is expected fo their 2010 WC Finals. Hiring a professional promoter and accurate timing company is a very smart move for the upcoming UCI Category 1 race.
windham mountain paid them? or dan from GES?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I hope they didn't sh*t themselves when they saw what a WC is like.
Good to hear they went to MSA. Gestev puts on what is easily one of the most organized, well run mtb events anywhere in the world. there's a reason next years world champs will mark 20 straight years of world cup/world champ racing at MSA. I hope the Windham crew took lots of notes.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Just what I said , and PLEASE let's put that crap behind us all.

Yes at first they did Jon. However at this point they have a lot of confidence.

true story... and they have partnered with a well known promotion company to handle the logistics of a world cup. expect good things.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
We can't be too hard on windham. The east gravity series race was probably just a learning experience too. I am sure WC event will go good. I better reserve a room now for next year...

Edit: Or sleep in my car again...

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Clearly there are some uninformed posters (posers) on this thread.

I have talked at length to the mountain and the racers that received the checks from the mountain. Windham sent out checks to the pro men on the Monday following the event. The checks were sent out FedEx "next day" and were in the racers hands Tuesday morning, even the second place racer from Canada got his on Tuesday............FROM WINDHAM.

Cut these guys a break, they are honest, hard working guys that are bringing The 2010 World Cup Finals to the United States. They have admitted their mistakes, blamed no one publicly and want to and have moved on.

The UCI, USAC and Windham all want this to be a great event and it will be.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!

I have talked at length to the mountain and the racers that received the checks from the mountain. Windham sent out checks to the pro men on the Monday following the event. The checks were sent out FedEx "next day" and were in the racers hands Tuesday morning, even the second place racer from Canada got his on Tuesday............FROM WINDHAM.

Cut these guys a break, they are honest, hard working guys that are bringing The 2010 World Cup Finals to the United States. They have admitted their mistakes, blamed no one publicly and want to and have moved on.

hey no harm here mate, i know the riders got paid which is great. But i was under the impression that Dan paid them. sorry didnt know that the mountain paid them.

but yes i talked to the head guy at windham and he seems like he is ready for the WC finals and it should be good. he took time out and showed me the map of the mountain and how they were going to change the course to make it even better for the WC race. i personally liked windham and thought the course was great.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

That being said, I found a place that prints pint glasses CHEAP. :thumb:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Jeff Frost from Blue Wolf Events is supposed to be helping I hear. Will be great to get a world cup in the USA again.

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
So Windham is going to let Frosty and co. - - who ran the NMBS into the ground - - be their "experience" to help them put on a World Cup? God help them . . . .

Frosty and Co. did an excellent job Running events on site.... that is what they will be doing here, handling the technical aspects of the event.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
who is doing the promoting and marketing then?
I don't know everything, just almost everything;)
though i'm referring to the difference between putting on a single event and sustaining a 'national series.' i have no idea who is in charge of what in regards to the Windham WC other than who is being brought in to run the operation. sounds like it's in reliable hands, lets leave it at that.

But for the rest of you who hear Blue Wolf/Frosty and immediately think of the death of the NMBS, remember that these are the same people who put on the Sea Otter Classic. they know what they are doing

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007