Quantcast

Windham or Whiteface? East Coast riders here.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Alright, so I want to go up to one of these. Both are a wee bit to expensive for me. So whiteface is having a 3 day opening weekend june 19th, 20th, and 21st, and windham downhill race for gravity east series race is 27th and 28th.

From me, Windham is about 4 hours, and whiteface is 6 1/2. I don't mind the extra driving if it would be worth it.

I hear whiteface is big, etc... I have not heard much about windham besides racing friends who are stoked on the place.

Which one do you think would be better to go to?

Thanks guys.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Whiteface gets my vote. They don't have a huge number of trails, you're kind of limited to two at the top, which branch into two each, and each of those branches at some point. However, the TERRAIN is incredibly varied. You'll get open fireroads, tight plattekill-style singletrack, more open singletrack, ski runs, loam near the bottom...one run takes you through most of what other mountains have to offer. Plus, on average you spend a minimum of 14 minutes getting down the hill, and each run takes 20-30 if you stop to unclench.

On top of that, opening weekend is always the best, the party is great, the riding is good, it doesn't get to crowded. If my car runs, I'll be there.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Boogenman's vote: WHITEFACE!

Why:

Whiteface gets my vote. They don't have a huge number of trails, you're kind of limited to two at the top, which branch into two each, and each of those branches at some point. However, the TERRAIN is incredibly varied. You'll get open fireroads, tight plattekill-style singletrack, more open singletrack, ski runs, loam near the bottom...one run takes you through most of what other mountains have to offer. Plus, on average you spend a minimum of 14 minutes getting down the hill, and each run takes 20-30 if you stop to unclench.

On top of that, opening weekend is always the best, the party is great, the riding is good, it doesn't get to crowded. If my car runs, I'll be there.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yea, I want to race, just because I am getting more into racing, but a part of me pulls away to just have fun, what is riding without having fun anyways? I am good at jumping, ok at cornering, etc... but I am not that great at rock gardens, and intend to get better at them.

Which mountain is more technical?
How big is windham compared to whiteface (elevation, time it takes to take one run)?
Which one has cheaper hotels...?
Lifts, which one is faster?
How many trails does windham have?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Yea, I want to race, just because I am getting more into racing, but a part of me pulls away to just have fun, what is riding without having fun anyways? I am good at jumping, ok at cornering, etc... but I am not that great at rock gardens, and intend to get better at them.

Which mountain is more technical?
How big is windham compared to whiteface (elevation, time it takes to take one run)?
Which one has cheaper hotels...?
Lifts, which one is faster?
How many trails does windham have?
Whiteface has longer trails, a faster lift, more rock gardens/tech trails and has a bit of everything to offer when it comes to trail types. What I mean is like sandwich said, fast wide open stuff, fast wide open white knuckle rough up top, platty type tech/steep, tricky fast and slow rock gardens and open loamy corners that you can dritf.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Whiteface has a lot of stuff, Windham has the race courses only atm.

It boils down to if you wanna ride or race.

Camp and do both.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Thanks for all the Whiteface votes guys!

As far as it not being too crowded we have been trying hard to change that. Our numbers are up over 300% from 4 years ago. you still have the trails to yourself and no lift lines, because Whiteface is so big.

Tons of camping withing a couple of miles from Whiteface. Tons of motel rooms starting at $69.00 that includes your $34.00 lift ticket. By next week, we will have several motels participating in our bike n stays.

27 trails. The gondola fits 2 riders with bikes inside (3 with bikes gets kind of crowded), and takes 10 to12 minutes to reach the summit. 2.476 feet of vertical. Biggest lift service vertical in the east. Hosted 2 Winter Olympics, etc. We even have a few new sections of single-track we are working on now. Pump track and dual slalom course. For racing, Whiteface is awesome for training for other races, since our mountain is so big and the trails are nice and techy. Train here and pin the other courses. Also, the bike park is owned and operated by 2 downhillers.

Bike n stays will be on our web site by late next week.

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I've never been to Windham, but thought Whiteface was awesome and the KOA campground is a great place to stay. My only recommendation would be for more options at the top. It's easy to ride a different trail each run towards the bottom, but you end up running the top two sections over and over.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
That is the 1st thing we would like to do is add an intermediate trail form the top. Hopefully, in the next couple of years that will happen. Enough gnarly stuff up top already. Thing is that it's super steep and super thick near the summit. When I worked at Keystone , I noticed you can't see the summit from the base. Whiteface is a very steep mountain and the summit is very visible from the base.

We have added a few new sections of single-track on the lower mountain this year. please remember the bike park is owned and operated by 2 downhillers. Once we start getting more regulars to ride Whiteface, we will have the funds to build that trail. Whiteface only gives us a 1 year lease to run the bike park, so taking out a loan for a couple a hundred grand is just not an option.

Maybe this will be the year for people to discover Whiteface. Our numbers are up big time, but need to go a little higher for a new trail from the summit.

Could you imagine how long a ride would be on an intermediate trail form the top. Maybe 5 + miles. I don't think it's possible for a beginner trail from the top?

What we would like to do in the next few years: new trails form the summit, dirt jumps, drops, wall rides, skinnies and step ups.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
That is the 1st thing we would like to do is add an intermediate trail form the top. Hopefully, in the next couple of years that will happen. Enough gnarly stuff up top already. Thing is that it's super steep and super thick near the summit. When I worked at Keystone , I noticed you can't see the summit from the base. Whiteface is a very steep mountain and the summit is very visible from the base.

We have added a few new sections of single-track on the lower mountain this year. please remember the bike park is owned and operated by 2 downhillers. Once we start getting more regulars to ride Whiteface, we will have the funds to build that trail. Whiteface only gives us a 1 year lease to run the bike park, so taking out a loan for a couple a hundred grand is just not an option.

Maybe this will be the year for people to discover Whiteface. Our numbers are up big time, but need to go a little higher for a new trail from the summit.

Could you imagine how long a ride would be on an intermediate trail form the top. Maybe 5 + miles. I don't think it's possible for a beginner trail from the top?

What we would like to do in the next few years: new trails form the summit, dirt jumps, drops, wall rides, skinnies and step ups.
...and maybe an expert trail from the very top. There's another 800 or so feet of mountain above the Gondola.

You guys are doing a great job though and the place is a blast to ride.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
It is possible to have a 3,676 foot descent @ Whiteface and it would be truly spectacular!.
They built a new chair lift last year that goes to the summit of Lookout Mountain, and is on the other side of the slides. I just mentioned our 2 year plan above. If I go into the 5 to 10 year plan, well you just wouldn't believe me.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
It is possible to have a 3,676 foot descent @ Whiteface and it would be truly spectacular!.
They built a new chair lift last year that goes to the summit of Lookout Mountain, and is on the other side of the slides. I just mentioned our 2 year plan above. If I go into the 5 to 10 year plan, well you just wouldn't believe me.
Tell me about it. I might be working in NYC in 5 years.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Elias and crew have finished 1 new section of trail extending trail # 27 all the way to mid station. They are 1/2 done cutting the new feature trail just below the pump track. This trail will be very popular this year, and the best way to get down after riding the pump track. The trail will be ready by opening day, but without the features. If any locals can help out, we may be able to get the wall ride up on that trail and add a few of the jumps and drops.

If able to help just shoot me a pm or email me at info@downhillmike.com

We are building a dual slalom course, finish the new trails, add the new features and place all signage on the mountain in the next week. So, if anyone can help we could use it.

New pictures coming this weekend.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
aahhh comon ya old fart, git down to Platty this weekend and give me someone I can beat......YOU !!!!

just put down those shovels for a day or two before your season starts.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Decided I am going to Windham. Is there practice on Friday or no? Just need to know if I am staying there Friday night.

Thanks.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
It's just sat/sun morning practice at Windham. I heard today that the GECS course will be a modified version of the sport course (they're only running 1 course for this race versus the 2 for the Nats this past summer).

...and while I live only an hour from Windham, I vote for WHITEFACE! (I'll be there Fri 6/19)

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
It's just sat/sun morning practice at Windham. I heard today that the GECS course will be a modified version of the sport course (they're only running 1 course for this race versus the 2 for the Nats this past summer).

...and while I live only an hour from Windham, I vote for WHITEFACE! (I'll be there Fri 6/19)
Was wondering about that. The pro/expert course upper section was stripped of dirt by the end of the weekend last year. Steep fun stuff though.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Ya, I would go to whiteface, but I want to race.

In case you can do both I just finished meeting with the local motels.
Whiteface is now a very affordable downhill destination. A few of the motels wanted to come in at the lowest price. $59.00 per night that includes your $34.00 lift ticket. That is $25.00 for your room. 7 hotels are competing for the best bike n stay rates this year. Turns out it is $10.00 less than last year on a weekday and $30.00 less on weekends, if you are staying at a motel.

Oh, and don't forget about the free beer, 3-d movie, live music, trials demo & pump track competition this weekend.

Note. If you do come to Whiteface next weekend you'll most likely win the Windham race.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Another vote for Whiteface. I have only ridden the XC race course at Windham and it was lots of fun, but Whiteface is definitely where I would go for the weekend. Longer runs, great terrain, plenty of beers & great people to ride with. I wish I could be there opening weekend too but I have prior commitments!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Does anyone know where I can register for windham? And does anyone know where I can get a 2009 schedule, because this one is for 2008:

http://www.windhammountainbike.com/

Sorry one more question, do I need a license for this race?
Gravity East Series Schedule shows Windham June 27-28

There's another race there in August (Yankee Clipper/Kenda Cup) too.

I am thinking you might need a license as it's USA Cycling Sanctioned, but I don't know for sure...maybe someone who's racing the series can chime in.