Quantcast

Windham USA World Cup…..on or off?!

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
the mountain has some pretty sweet courses, but they all need a bit of work to make em WC ready, which is not the major issue. one of the biggest faults i have seen with windham is the location. i dont care what people say about the the mountain condo's and the mountain hotel and all, its NOT big enough to host a world cup, especially a triple feature weekend. i have been to bromont with last minute plans and had to stay as much as 45 minutes away, and that has much more lodging to offer, esp with nearby granby. windham has limited lodging with no major towns nearby except for maybe albany? 45 mins i believe? and it also has very few small restaurants, so food is another issue.

and also in terms of hosting races in CO area, it is a great idea, and the courses are sick i am sure, but economically it does not make sense when world champs are at ste-anne. its too far and too costly for teams to drive back and forth or whatever.

Last edited:

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Vail, Telluride and Durango have all had WC's and are in CO. Vail has held a couple of Worlds. So that should put a stop to anyone doubting the viability of proper terrain in CO.

I doubt Angel Fire will do another.

I really doubt Vail or any Vail Resorts will be interested until they know they will make money off the project. IIRC, that's why AF is NOT doing it - $$$.

Don't get me wrong, I'd shat my pants if CO gets a WC!
What SylentK said. I think Sol Vista would be a waste. While the Sol Vista Bike crew could build a great track, and the terrain is surely rocky and dusty enough, 1,000ft of vert IMO is not enough for a WC. In any case Sol Vista would still be better than Canberra BY FAR. Colorado has tons of big mountain resorts. Namely Vail, Aspen, Snowmass, Durango, Keystone, Telluride, Winter Park, & Copper. We have MANY, MANY places in Colorado that COULD easily accomodate a WC event. Whether or not all of the Logistics could be arranged ($$ & people to build, organize and put together the event), and a proper track could be built in time thanks mainly in part to the U.S. Forest Service that's the question. If a resort and the Forest Service is willing to take a risk for just such an occassion I think the masses are hungry enough to make the journey to partake in said event. Just my $0.02

Last edited:

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Lack of communication at the top. We all need to have a private forum for race
promoters & racers to hash out the future of mountainbiking in the USA.

The Drama! NEEDS TO GO!
The uci expects to much money to run events and USAC does not understand the need to cherry pick wonderful facilities with a history of hosting great events
with happy riders.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lack of communication at the top. We all need to have a private forum for race
promoters & racers to hash out the future of mountainbiking in the USA.

The Drama! NEEDS TO GO!
The uci expects to much money to run events and USAC does not understand the need to cherry pick wonderful facilities with a history of hosting great events
with happy riders.
There will always be drama on the internetz! :panic:

Also, there's a lot of things that USAC doesn't understand, especially when it comes to gravity events.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
In Colorado there are two resorts that are currently interested in hosting a WC. Winter Park and Crested Butte. But neither of them are going to do it next year. They both have plans for it, but the the WC is years away for both.

Keystone will host a MSC race next year and Vail is interested in building new gravity trails. But both of these steps, despite being in the right direction, are very far from hosting a WC.

I think Colorado will host one within the next 2-4 years, but definitely not next year.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Also, there's a lot of things that USAC doesn't understand, especially when it comes to gravity events.
Also there's a lot of people that post on the internet that don't understand USAC, especially when it comes to gravity events.

Honestly what do you expext for your license fee. Remember USAC gets no money from the government, unlike many other countries. Corporate sponsors have all but disappeared. The people that work there have a passion and are certainly not getting rich. The support given to athletes (even with the fee)at international events is pretty darn good considering all of the above.

flame away flamers:think:

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Also there's a lot of people that post on the internet that don't understand USAC, especially when it comes to gravity events.

Honestly what do you expext for your license fee. Remember USAC gets no money from the government, unlike many other countries. Corporate sponsors have all but disappeared. The people that work there have a passion and are certainly not getting rich. The support given to athletes (even with the fee)at international events is pretty darn good considering all of the above.

flame away flamers:think:
This has nothing to do with the topic, but you bring up a good question here.

I would like to know what I get for my license fee?

I think it would be awesome for USAC to show where the membership money is alloted?

As far as World Cup's in the States, it is my understanding from talking with numerous promoter's over the years that it's a losing venture business wise to hold a World Cup in the States.. We don't have the fan base of Europe and Cycling just isn't as big, promotors in the states make money primarily of entry fee's.. with pro only event's that is a very limited number.

I think it will take some generous individuals or a group willing to take financial risk to get something back here.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
As far as World Cup's in the States, it is my understanding from talking with numerous promoter's over the years that it's a losing venture business wise to hold a World Cup in the States.. We don't have the fan base of Europe and Cycling just isn't as big, promotors in the states make money primarily of entry fee's.. with pro only event's that is a very limited number.

I think it will take some generous individuals or a group willing to take financial risk to get something back here.
And yet MSA has been doing it for 20 years. Are Canadians really that different?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
And yet MSA has been doing it for 20 years. Are Canadians really that different?
You bring up a good point...the tradition of Mt St Anne was built during the hay day of the sport....if it was just the World Cup and not the multi day festival they have now i wonder if they would still be profitable?

Your also talking about French Canada, which is closer to Europe then America.... I haven't seen any in the western side of Canada for a while?

Grouse was as close to a major city as any World Cup i have seen and there is a very big cycling community there as well, if it made sense $ wise i think it would still be held?.... I wonder why Whistler doesn't hold a World Cup?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I heard rumors about money and no deal was reached. It really is too bad as whistler would be an EPIC place for a WC. imagine the first weekend of crankworx being a WC!

-KT
it would be unreal to have a World Cup at Crankworx, but Whistler doesn't need a World Cup, it already does awesome business wise and closing the lifts for a World Cup makes no sense at all.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
As much as I'd like a US World Cup, I hope that if Windham flops, Bromont can get it back. They've put so much into it already, an put on a great race.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
hahaha YES they are!!!

MSA gets half a million dollars for the Verilium from the government. It is a two week long event that ends with the world cup weekend. The Canada/Quebec Cup Race the weekend prior to that brings 800+ entry fees when all mtb events are combined not, to mention the tens of thousands of fans. Coporate sponsors are plentiful and a beer company picks up the tab for a ton of parties/side events.

Check out the website including the event ending BLEU NUIT PARTY.

Velirium Website

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
I have never even heard this as a possibility, but Northstar Resort here in Tahoe has many of the qualifying categories that have been mentioned for other possible sights. Terrain: N* is known for their steep technical trails, if the track was mapped out correctly it would be World Cup worthy without question. Location: Northstar is 40 minutes from an international airport in Reno. Access to the mountain is very easy, and it is within ten minutes from two very tourist-friendly places in Lake Tahoe and Truckee. The Reno/Tahoe area has a very rich cycling history (Lemond, Palmer, Basagoitia, Zink) and has the fan base to support such an event with its proximity to the Sacramento and Bay Area metropolis'. Accommodations: Northstar has copious amounts of on site lodging, which is usually sitting dormant during September as the tourist season has died off. And the money is there as they are owned by a huge conglomerate. Just saying...

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
hahaha YES they are!!!

MSA gets half a million dollars for the Verilium from the government. It is a two week long event that ends with the world cup weekend. The Canada/Quebec Cup Race the weekend prior to that brings 800+ entry fees when all mtb events are combined not, to mention the tens of thousands of fans. Coporate sponsors are plentiful and a beer company picks up the tab for a ton of parties/side events.

Velirium Website
Don't forget the am. XC race the same weekend as the WC. Hundreds of xc racers that did not even care that a gravity event with the worlds best was going on the same day they had their xc race.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
What SylentK said. I think Sol Vista would be a waste. While the Sol Vista Bike crew could build a great track, and the terrain is surely rocky and dusty enough, 1,000ft of vert IMO is not enough for a WC. In any case Sol Vista would still be better than Canberra BY FAR.
I think Worlds this year proved that you don't need a huge track to have an amazing race. Canberra was probably the most intense DH racing I've ever watched. They didn't have a whole lot of terrain to work with, but they seemed to build a DH track that was perfect from a spectating and competition point of view. A little bit of everything, easily filmable, and leveled the playing field so anyone could win. As much as I love riding the most challenging stuff, having a few guys monopolize the technical tracks is pretty boring from a spectating point of view.

ESPECIALLY because you had guys taking all kinds of risks. A few guys were on shorter travel bikes, some with single crowns, some with dual crowns. Some guys losing armor completely. Lot's of variety, lot more variables, lot more intense (Barrel's run, HOLY SH*T!!! amirite?). DH racing needs to think more about promotion and commercialization, less about what DH racers want. Who cares what they want, they'll race anyways.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Anyone know why it costs so much to host a World Cup......?

It is prestige, greed, UCI Mob.......or is it justified.....?.....

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
I am no WC expert, but I would say that your paying for a full package you supply the mountain and the course...they run the event. I also think that we can't consider it greed when a mountain wants to make a profit.......we can't expect gravity racing to grow if the mountains hosting the races are losing money in the process.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am no WC expert, but I would say that your paying for a full package you supply the mountain and the course...they run the event. I also think that we can't consider it greed when a mountain wants to make a profit.......we can't expect gravity racing to grow if the mountains hosting the races are losing money in the process.
The mountain has to pony up for things like press/media room, riders lounge, meals/buffets for riders, etc. The mountain even has to pay for the rider's piss test.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the mountain also has to provide most of the staff, but there are some UCI officials who show up.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
two words for you: la bresse (voted best wc this year if you remember)
You may be right. I have never attended a WC event. I was planning to attend Windham this year. I guess you have a better idea than I do for WC events. IMO, from what I saw on Freecaster of the La Bresse Track, Schladming looked to be much more fun. I only saw helmet cams of each, so that's all I have to judge from.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
They should take the race to Durango. I've never been there and I don't know what kind of course they can put up, but next year will be 20 years since the inaugural World Championships. They should have the finals where it all began.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
You may be right. I have never attended a WC event. I was planning to attend Windham this year. I guess you have a better idea than I do for WC events. IMO, from what I saw on Freecaster of the La Bresse Track, Schladming looked to be much more fun. I only saw helmet cams of each, so that's all I have to judge from.
i was there live, first i was sceptical like the most, but the mountain hat very steep parts and the organisation in generally was very good. only the food in the press office could have been better ;)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
hahaha YES they are!!!

Velirium Website
Anyone from Vail Resorts listening? Holding a world cup ONLY is so 90's. Make it a two week long festival! Maybe even combine it with the Teva Mtn thingy they do, too?

Thing is, there's way more XC'rs than DH/FR in CO. And a ****-ton of roadies. But I bet they'd all head up I-70 to see a WC and fun with 2 wheels outdoor festival thing.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Maybe the real problem is that we don't have a Tomac or an Overend anymore. You probably won't get hordes of people driving up I-70 to see Julian Absalon.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Maybe the real problem is that we don't have a Tomac or an Overend anymore. You probably won't get hordes of people driving up I-70 to see Julian Absalon.
Julian who? Oh I see your point... :rofl:

Bah, bring in Snoop Dogg and watch Vail fill up like a spiked punch bowl. :D

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I am no WC expert, but I would say that your paying for a full package you supply the mountain and the course...they run the event.
not at all the case...

there are a few people on here (myself included) that are well informed with what it takes to host a WC, what the UCI wants, what the teams want, etc... it is a HUGE undertaking and not as simple as just saying this venue will do.

it is pretty obvious from reading this thread that almost no one really "gets it"... that isn't directed at you Rich.

I know myself, Todd, and a few others have had these conversations with people in person who are willing to listen. I am not about to post it all on here as that would take about 5 pages or more.

I am fully prepared to be flamed for this, but.... Windham was a terrible choice of a venue/organization. In all honesty it is better for the US to cancel that event than to have it be our first WC attempt in years.

Also... how many people on here have actually been to a WC and seen a real WC course? They are NOTHING like anything you race at a local or national level in the US... we are soooooo far behind Europe when it comes to race tracks it is not even funny.

hopefully it is a learning experience, and the next attempt is buttoned up and ready to go before putting in a bid and realizing that they are way over their heads.

An awesome WC will happen in the US in the near future and will be worth the wait... we just are not ready for it yet.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Also... how many people on here have actually been to a WC and seen a real WC course? They are NOTHING like anything you race at a local or national level in the US... we are soooooo far behind Europe when it comes to race tracks it is not even funny.
Wurd. A lot of people (here in the states) don't seem to get that. WC tracks are completely different than anything else.