Quantcast

Windham USA World Cup…..on or off?!

Top news post on Dirt mags website.

This is not confirmed, but we’ve heard rumours on the grapevine that the USA round of the World Cup at Windham might possibly be cancelled. If the rumours are true, it means we have a fully european World Cup series for 2010, that is unless another venue replaces it. After the 8 round series this year, will it be too drastic a change to go to a 5 round series for next year? The round at Windham was scheduled to be the final round too, so it’s a big story if the rumours are true. It wouldn’t surprise us here in the office if Bromont came in to replace Windham. With the World Championships being at Mont-Sainte-Anne, Bromont would be a logical change.

More news as we hear it. Keep it locked. :(

LINK

http://dirtmountainbike.com/news/windham-usa-world-cupon.html

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As much as I don't want to believe this, part of me feels that it might be true (especially after the boondoggle that was their GES race this past year).

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I hope it isn't true, I was planning a trip out east to attend. If it is true, many a mountain in Colorado could play host. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If this is true, I wonder if it will affect Plattekill's plans to have a UCI points race the week prior. I kinda doubt it though... might just not get the attendance they were hoping for.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
If this is true, I wonder if it will affect Plattekill's plans to have a UCI points race the week prior. I kinda doubt it though... might just not get the attendance they were hoping for.
There may be some changes with Plattekill's UCI date, everyone should be pleased. Our series race dates will stand as announced, with a couple special events to be added.

Honestly the announced UCI date was too late in the season for any racers to use those points in 2010. We'll get everything out there once contracts are signed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Whiteface would be a sick mountain to have it at.
It would be. They've got pretty much everything needed (terrain, elevation, facilities, size to accomodate the WC circus and media). There has been some talk of it, but because the mountain is state owned land there is a lot of red tape.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
When I was at windham for the first ges race, it sucked how slow the lifts were, the prizes sucked and how the event was ran sucked.

On a positive note. The course there, although very muddy, was one of my favorite courses ever. The 4x track was fun, and I bet when that race was more dry, and there were more jumps on it, it was a blast.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
It would be. They've got pretty much everything needed (terrain, elevation, facilities, size to accomodate the WC circus and media). There has been some talk of it, but because the mountain is state owned land there is a lot of red tape.

5 K DH will be on 9-12-10.
Possibly our 1st Super D on 9-11-10?

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
When did this all transpire? Did this happen at the MTB summit this past weekend?

Sad because I believe the mountains intentions were good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Snowshoe, Mount Snow, Diablo...we love your montains dearly....why won't love us back and give us World Cup????
Well I can tell you Diablo won't get one. From what I've read in the 4x thread, you need to be a USAC affiliated mountain to be recognized as a potential venue / event holder by UCI.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
From what i have heard recently, they are owed a bunch of money and the event is definitely NOT happening. It sounds like USAC is pushing for Bromont to be the replacement round, as they aren't stoked on the only other US option?

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
From what i have heard recently, they are owed a bunch of money and the event is definitely NOT happening. It sounds like USAC is pushing for Bromont to be the replacement round, as they aren't stoked on the only other US option?
What is the venue that is the "only other option"? just curious.

I will be bummed if windham does not get it but bromont is a well deserving mountain it would be great to see them get another WC

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
Bring World Cups back to Colorado!!!
What mountains do you suggest in colorado?

I'm from the east but i'm living in colorado now and i think the longer steeper courses of the east coast are more world cup style. Not trying to start an east vs west thing just wondering if i'm missing out in some good riding out here!

I think Windham was a good option it would be a shame if it is not going to happen.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sol Vista or Keystone would be my picks for Colorado.

Elsewhere on the westcoast, I don't think Northstar would be too far fetched of a pick.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Vail, Telluride and Durango have all had WC's and are in CO. Vail has held a couple of Worlds. So that should put a stop to anyone doubting the viability of proper terrain in CO.

I doubt Angel Fire will do another.

I really doubt Vail or any Vail Resorts will be interested until they know they will make money off the project. IIRC, that's why AF is NOT doing it - $$$.

Don't get me wrong, I'd shat my pants if CO gets a WC!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I dunno if Intrawest (snowshoe's owner) would put up the money to host a UCI event, I don't think they would see enough ROI.

Also, what's the closest major int'l airport to snowshoe?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I dunno if Intrawest (snowshoe's owner) would put up the money to host a UCI event, I don't think they would see enough ROI.

Also, what's the closest major int'l airport to snowshoe?
Pittsburgh, Richmond, or Dulles (Washington, DC)....take your pick, none of them are exactly close at 3-4+ hour drive. That said, it doesn't seem to be the deal breaker for a world cup happening at some of the more remote Euro locations. I see the deal breaker being a purely financial decision....both from a backing and a potential profit-making standpoint. In this economy, hell....in any economy....a US based resort is going to have a very hard time justifying putting up $ for an event that has no guaranteed ROI. I'd love to see it happen at a place like Snowshoe, but I'm certainly not holding my breath that it'll happen in my lifetime.

I'm a little bummed now that the last two attempts to host a WC in the US have failed before they ever really got off the ground.....what does that say on an international level?!?!?!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I see the deal breaker being a purely financial decision....both from a backing and a potential profit-making standpoint.
Especially considering the resort is owned by Intrawest. Its not that they don't have the money, they just wouldn't see enough ROI to pursue it.

I'm a little bummed now that the last two attempts to host a WC in the US have failed before they ever really got off the ground.....what does that say on an international level?!?!?!
Yup :(

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We need ONE good world cup here in the states.
Agreed. In the big picture of things, if Windham felt that they couldn't properly put on this event for whatever reason, I think it's better to have backed out, then to have pushed forward, wound up with a half assed event, and been an embarassment to the international bike community.