Quantcast

Windham World Cup Finals - Live Thread

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Any pics of Spagnola's boost/boosh?
Was he the one crashing off the road gap - if so he came in super hot of the drop before the take off rear wheel first. That made him drift to the right and he then drifted even more to the right when he took off. I am pretty sure he went down to save himself from hitting a very big three. Huge roll and he got up again so quickly I was like this :eek:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Was he the one crashing off the road gap - if so he came in super hot of the drop before the take off rear wheel first. That made him drift to the right and he then drifted even more to the right when he took off. I am pretty sure he went down to save himself from hitting a very big three. Huge roll and he got up again so quickly I was like this :eek:
Yup. Live they did a slo mo and it actually looked like he cased/slid down/blew up the dirt bank on the left side of him. He never bailed. The bike got ripped out from under him.

Oh, and I saw this line in Gwin's race run. Check the pics on Pinkbike to see his line versus the others. Click to make BIG:

Hylands is awesome:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Yup. Live they did a slo mo and it actually looked like he cased/slid down/blew up the dirt bank on the left side of him. He never bailed. The bike got ripped out from under him.

Oh, and I saw this line in Gwin's race run. Check the pics on Pinkbike to see his line versus the others. Click to make BIG:

Hylands is awesome:
his line was slower than the straight blast....or he would've won...

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Peaty just flew through that sections super smoothly. I guess his long legs do give him some extra travel... or was it his "carbon V10 hooking up super sweet"?

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
The crowd was a respectable size. Freecaster didn't capture the length of this track. As JimMac mentioned, the road gap was a big spot, also Alligator Rock was mobbed (DH point 2,3,4) top to bottom for Pro women and early in Pro Men, then people worked their way down. I think most people wanted to see the whole course. When Steve Peat came thru section 2/3/4 there was less than 10 people left at the top. There was never cameras in the Alligator rock section which was a very technical section IMO but hard to hike and not as exciting because lower speeds.
If you watched the Freecaster DH replay, CG is commentating on his run and mentions letting go of the bar over the road gap to point at the Boom Box Boys....here they are in a photo I found. Most of you East Coast guys know them. :weee::happydance::rockout::banana::monkeydance:

sick sick event. I feel that everyone there held it down real well. We certainly tried - I know I called out of work today, have lost my voice and honestly had no idea holding a flag and that 20lb boombox for 3 days could make me so ridiculously sore.

Already stoked for 2011, hopefully we can double the crowd.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
exaxtly, from the footage shown on freecaster, it looked like a event with nearly no visitors at all. especially the finish area looked like half the people there are filmer or photographers. now compare this to la bresse last year where the finish area was packed with people.
And in la bresse there was no one on the course...they were all in the finish area. There was only a few cameras, only 2 of which were live. You barely saw any of the track, and the finish slope was pretty packed as people hiked down the mountain in time for the last men. It was deafening for Peaty at the bottom.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
In the Vital slideshow, Gee was saying the MSA trackwalk was tomorrow (i.e. today) and practice starts tomorrow.... holy geez, that's quick. not much time for them to recover. Is there a Worldz thread yet?!?
Yup, rack walk was this morning. I'm currently in the back of the SRAM rig on the way to MSA. Plenty of riders missed the course walk today simply because it takes 8+ hours to get here (11+ in a rig like this with the border and customs etc).

Crazy UCI!

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
Not trying to rag on the organizers but would it have been possible to get a better 'hot seat'. Just my opinion that the bean bag chair on the decking doesn't really spell out professional world cup level.
First WC you watched this season???

tingers

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Butch, I don't want to get in the way of your man crush on Gracia but here's may take on the guy: Sure he has quite the legacy and influence in the sport but his time has passed. It may not be his intention, but seeing a guy constantly pulling tricks while racing on the WC circut,...it's like he's clowning the sport IMO. It would be like seeing someone throw in a 360 in a DH ski race or watching the 2nd place superbowl team perform a celebration dance in the endzone. It might be amusing once, but it seems to be the only spotlight that he can desperately grab. I can see why the French federation did not pick him for worlds, he's not a good representative in the current world of RACING. I don't mean to hate on the guy but I think if you're not out to win, or at least climb the ranks, then it's time to move on.
Gracia has been showboating forever. I can't remember the year but when he was on Sunn he won a muddy ass WC and did a big fat tabletop of the finish jump.One of the coolest things I've ever seen. He still has a few good years left in him. PS anybody remember the WC I'm talking about? Maybe Nevegal 97?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
On a different note, I have to say that I'm really impressed with Lewis Buchanan. The kid hasn't been hyped up like some of the other juniors in recent years but has some real raw talent and turned in some great results this season. Someone as MS must have seen this to take him on and they have been repaid for that. I think the kid has a good future. He even seems to be a nice kid from the interviews that I've seen.
Glad it's now coming together for him after his bad luck in the world cups at the start of the season. he's looked in a different league to the other Elite riders at the Scottish races this year IMO and def deserves to be on a proper team. And yeah, he's a really nice guy too.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Gracias line in the mud at Mt. Snow through the far left of Yard Sale for the win...sickest line ever.

There's been a lot more to DH racing than CG and the Eastern US (props for getting above the Mason-Dixon line though) . . . .;)

but for what it's worth, Vouilloz down the finish slope of Vail Worlds '01 still makes my jaw drop, but only slightly more than the finish road at Ft. William; 9 years and it's still so sick to watch those guys pedal at little table tops!!!!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
"but for what it's worth, Vouilloz down the finish slope of Vail Worlds '01 still makes my jaw drop, "

Yep, I lived there at that time and that final face was out of hand. Peat came down and made the rest of the field look silly...then Vouilloz came down and let the world know why he's called ET. It really was unbelievable, but only could be appreciated if you saw what the rest of the top 10 riders in the world looked like.

On subject, Missy scorpioned herself like I've never seen at the bottom of the same face...I really can't believe she walked away from it.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i've been looking for the evolution vid and this is all i could find - the vail worlds clip is at 02:53. anyone have anything better?

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Does Troy have a couple extra degrees of freedom in his legs or what? He kills it for his size!
Every time I see this kid ride my jaw drops. It almost makes me depressed that I may never be that good and he's just a youngin'...

great pics, thanks for sharing!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Minnar trying for 1st

Gee's wining run

Gwinnie determined to hold his place on the podium

Peaty after his crash

Rachel's wining run

Troy Brosnan fastest jr rider

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The signed helmet is super sweet. Like sugar coated cereal sweet

Pslide

Turbo Monkey

I saw Schusler after the race and he was grinning ear to ear, couldn't wipe it off his face. I said congrats (his first Top 80 and mid-40s finish). He was stoked and seems like a super nice guy. So many good characters in this sport!

Pics of Minaar and Gee hunkering down coming at the camera are rad...love seeing them put the power down.