Quantcast

Windows 10 help?

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I've done two of our computers so far and it has been flawless. I know that isn't super helpful.

Have you tried updating the driver for the wifi adapter? I would try that first.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Finally upgraded to Windows 10 and have not had the best experience, so far.

Microsoft Edge sucks more than IE 11. It constantly misses my mouse clicks or it lags behind pretty badly while creating tabs and other things. It also doesn't use the favourites folder anymore?

The biggest issue has been constant BSODs. EVERYTIME that I try to copy a bunch of large files to my network storage, the video card driver (or something related to it) crashes and then the computer will BSOD.

:banghead:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You didn't get the memo like 13 Internet Explorer versions ago? Chrome and never once thought it would be a good idea to open whatever that IE is in W10.

That said, apart from the initial flaw with the start bar not working and the virus software interfering with it, it's been stable. I had to do some registry edits and work-arounds for the anti-virus stuff to get it off my computer, which is not acceptable in this day and age.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Windows 10 is definitely better than Windows XP.
In regards to virus protection and running a 64 bit OS, yes, in every other aspect I prefer XP.
Last week my computer started saying that my copy of 8 is registered to another machine, hasn't done it this week, maybe they gave up because they knew nobody would pay for it :)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
At the cost of exposing yourself to a host of security vulnerabilities...
In what way, a virus? I run Hitman every now and again, it and MBAM only ever found cookies.
With ten I had to set every individual Wi-Fi connection to metered so it didn't do updates when you didn't want it to.
If you want to stop uploading loads of stuff to your lizard overlords you can run something like this-

In what way, a virus? I run Hitman every now and again, it and MBAM only ever found cookies.
With ten I had to set every individual Wi-Fi connection to metered so it didn't do updates when you didn't want it to.
If you want to stop uploading loads of stuff to your lizard overlords you can run something like this-

Read https://www.theregister.co.uk/ if you want threat reporting. I spent a couple of decades paying attention to security issues and I want updates installed about a microsecond after they're released.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In regards to virus protection and running a 64 bit OS, yes, in every other aspect I prefer XP.
Last week my computer started saying that my copy of 8 is registered to another machine, hasn't done it this week, maybe they gave up because they knew nobody would pay for it :)
#Russians

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Read https://www.theregister.co.uk/ if you want threat reporting. I spent a couple of decades paying attention to security issues and I want updates installed about a microsecond after they're released.
Ahh, okay, I have an Android phone now so I see Windows as a non issue for security concerns.

Windows 10 on the phone was good(excluding the lack of apps), had a HP X3 for a brief while, it could stream video to the TV and send an email on the phone Simultaneously. I really miss the auto hands free function and how few permissions apps needed, Android is a pain in regards to finding a reading all the app permissions.

#Russians
I did buy a Sony phone so I could use the OS that the Russian Gov uses, sadly the phone was a piece of shit and was returned before I got a chance to install Sailfish.