Quantcast

Windows 2K vs. Windows 2K3 Server Enterprise

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Which is better/More Stable?

I'm messing around with my desktop computer and HATE windows XP, and all I really use it for is a file/print server for my Macbook Pro and my Girlfriends MacBook. I'm now staring at the 2003 Server setup screen, decided i'd give it a whirl.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Please tell me what you hate about Windows XP.

Windows XP Professional is the best desktop operating system Microsoft has ever released.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I just have never liked XP since it came out. I find it to be very unstable, VERY prone to viruses/spyware/malware, and I just don't like it. I think they "dummed down" the OS to much for stupid people.

I always ran Windows 2000 Pro and it was stable and reliable. I have gotten a lot of things from Windows XP, but reliable is definantly not one of them!

I mentioned I have my desktop. It got messed up in the move, so I reinstalled XP. The first thing I did was put on Firefox, Symantec, AdAware and Spybot. I them proceeded to set up the computer. Within 3 days it started to run really slowly, and EVERYTHING was messed up. It started telling me I didn't have the system resources to complete simple tasks, etc. etc. I ran Spybot, and the computer restarted itself. I ran AdAware and after it found 30 new entries the program unexpectedly quit. I don't like Windows in general, and I definantly didn't like the jump they took when they went to XP. It defiantly has improved with SP2, but I'll takes Windows 2KSP4 over XPSP2 anyday

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dude... You're doing something seriously wrong with your computer. Very, very wrong.

Sorry, but that's NOT an operating system issue. If you have 30 new adware entries within 3 days, that's your fault. Either you're downloading something you shouldn't be or there are files that are infected and not cleaned that you're moving over after you format and reinstall. Windows XP isn't just "prone to adware". It's not like it magically zooms into your computer while you sleep.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with your setup, but it's not because you are running Windows XP. I ran Windows 2000 forever as well and really liked it, and I was reluctant to move to WinXP. I was reluctant to like XP even after I installed it, but the fact is that it's faster and more reliable. I've been a slow convert - I loved Win2k and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But WinXP Pro is the greatest thing since Win2k :)

Symantec is a resource hog anyway, don't use it :p

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I'm with BV on this one... sounds like PEBKAC to me.

I run XP, 2k, and now, Vista. I haven't had a virus since 1999. My PC's are all blazing fast, they run for days, weeks, and in the case of the server MONTHS without reboots. Anyone who says windoze is not stable doesn't know how to set up and maintaine a windoze box. Is it the most stable OS out there? Of course not! But it's not the crash prone virus infected OS that people try to make it out to be.

P.S.: if all you are doing is file and print sharing then you should run Win2k.

PPS Why do you need to run a windows box for file and print sharing amongst your Macs? Surely there is a mac solution available? Or do you just have the hardware on hand? :D That's usually my decision maker.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Ciaran said:
PPS Why do you need to run a windows box for file and print sharing amongst your Macs? Surely there is a mac solution available? Or do you just have the hardware on hand? :D That's usually my decision maker.

I just happen to have it on hand :)

Believe me, its actually a pain in the ass to get everything to work right together. The File Sharing is easy, but Bonjour...... not so much!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, I've got 2K3 server up and running, and its quite interesting. It's basically Windows 2K with a bunch of extra stuff i'll never ever ever use..... but its fun to play with :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Windows 2003 server has a pretty high overhead, pretty big install footprint and a heck of a lot of features to be running it as a print/file server :think:

Kinda like buying a Ford F350 so you can haul your workout bag to and from the gym every day.

But hey, whatever floats your boat... I'd still recommend you learn how to use Windows XP properly ;)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
binary visions said:
Windows 2003 server has a pretty high overhead, pretty big install footprint and a heck of a lot of features to be running it as a print/file server :think:

Kinda like buying a Ford F350 so you can haul your workout bag to and from the gym every day.

But hey, whatever floats your boat... I'd still recommend you learn how to use Windows XP properly ;)

Yeah, i'm probably going to install Win2K and be done with it, I just wanted to play with 2003 server :). This is why I have multiple partitions for Operating systems ;)

Believe me, I know how to use XP "properly" I just don't like it :eviltongu

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Ciaran said:
I run XP, 2k, and now, Vista.
I tried installing Vista. I didn't like it right off the get go. I think I'll have to throw it on for a longer duration. The Beta is also HUGE.

But as for XP (Pro, only get Pro cause Home sucks!), its a requirement to edit the startup services in msconfig. I also chopped everything down to look/run like Win2K, and disabled system restore. This may be your culprit (sys restore). We can argue for hours on this point but I think it's safer to disable this for virus protection sake.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
BigMike said:
Yeah, i'm probably going to install Win2K and be done with it, I just wanted to play with 2003 server :). This is why I have multiple partitions for Operating systems ;)

Believe me, I know how to use XP "properly" I just don't like it :eviltongu
XP Pro is definitely the best desktop OS to come out of Redmond, WA. Multiple OSs running on a single PC can slow performance down as well. It can also be the cause of your Malware issue. If the Spyware scanner is scanning other infected partitions then it's not the new XP partition, it's probably a preexisting partition.

Win2K3R2 is a huge resource hog as well, and XP is just a stripped down version of 2K3 - stick with XP. While your at it - disable all those resource hungry features of your Symantec product.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Pau11y said:
I tried installing Vista. I didn't like it right off the get go. I think I'll have to throw it on for a longer duration. The Beta is also HUGE.

But as for XP (Pro, only get Pro cause Home sucks!), its a requirement to edit the startup services in msconfig. I also chopped everything down to look/run like Win2K, and disabled system restore. This may be your culprit (sys restore). We can argue for hours on this point but I think it's safer to disable this for virus protection sake.

So what is so required to edit in msconfig? What do you turn off?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
and as it is right now, I don't have multiple OS's on the same machine, I have 4 partitions, and keep installing over C:. The stuff that is being found is always on C:, never on my data drives.

I guess i'll give XP another go around. What do you suggest I disable in Symantec?

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
BigMike said:
and as it is right now, I don't have multiple OS's on the same machine, I have 4 partitions, and keep installing over C:. The stuff that is being found is always on C:, never on my data drives.

I guess i'll give XP another go around. What do you suggest I disable in Symantec?

It depends on what Symantec Suite you are using. If you have services such as Parental Control, Privacy Control, and Antispam running, then disable them. The only thing you really need is the AV and Firewall. It sounds as though you may have had to many realtime scanning apps running at once. What's the hardware spec of the Win box?

As far as editing the msconfig file - it may help your startup time, but you need to be careful because some things require loading at startup. Symantec being one of those. You can look in your startup folder (resides in the all programs menu) for non-essential apps that are loading at startup - it's safe to delete them from that folder.