Quantcast

Windows 7 Phone

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
Nice, I can give up trying to convince the wife I need an IPhone now, and bide my time until this comes out.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well I'll be damned.

Microsoft, what business do you have making an interface that is clean, cohesive and intelligent?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have a PC (no Mac) but I do have an iPhone and there is nothing in Microsoft's past to make me think they some how "got it" with this phone. I have had a windows mobile phone in the past and it flat out sucked. Way to play catch up. I expect it to suck just like every other MS interface. Internet Explorer? No thanks. My iPhone has me looking for a mac.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Way to play catch up. I expect it to suck just like every other MS interface.
MS has made some products that even diehard mac fanboys like - see xbox division. I don't own or play video games but I've heard plenty of mac fans raving about that platform...

Windows media center and their input hardware is pretty well regarded. W7 has been very well received too...

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I don't play games. So xbox, PS, Wii doesn't matter to me.

I am not necessarily a Mac fan boy. I don't even own or have ever used a mac, but I really, really don't like MS. I prefer Corel Wordperfect to MS Word. I could go on and on. I guess the only thing I have liked from MS has been the exchange server, but even the iPhone does that better than my Windows Mobile.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I expect it to suck just like every other MS interface. Internet Explorer?
Did you, uh, watch the video?

It shows you the interface.

Look, you can argue about the ability of MS to provide a good OS if you want, but you can see the interface.

BTW, "catch up" is a lame argument. Either it's functional or it's not. It's not exactly catch up, anyway, since Android and WebOS have only really become viable, totally usable OS implementations in the past few iterations.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I have a PC (no Mac) but I do have an iPhone and there is nothing in Microsoft's past to make me think they some how "got it" with this phone. I have had a windows mobile phone in the past and it flat out sucked. Way to play catch up. I expect it to suck just like every other MS interface. Internet Explorer? No thanks. My iPhone has me looking for a mac.
I had Windows on my Treo, and I hated it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Did you, uh, watch the video?

It shows you the interface.

Look, you can argue about the ability of MS to provide a good OS if you want, but you can see the interface.

BTW, "catch up" is a lame argument. Either it's functional or it's not. It's not exactly catch up, anyway, since Android and WebOS have only really become viable, totally usable OS implementations in the past few iterations.
Interface means nothing if it provides the same performance as previous MS offerings. I expect it to be released as buggy, clumsy, and prone to viruses as much as the rest of MS products.

TO ME, MS seems to be always be behind, execute poorly, and counter-intuitive.

Firefox blows IE away, Corel is way more powerful and intuitive than MS Office, .MOV blows away .WMV, iTunes is better to use and interfaces with hardware than Windows Media Player, I could go on and on.

I guess Macs big down fall is limited hardware interface. Hence the reason I use PCs for the work I am in. But I have such a bad taste in my mouth over ME and Vista that MS is in my dog house. I refuse to give Windows 7 a try let alone another catch up phone product. :thumb:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
haven't read much about it yet; does/will it multitask?
According to preliminary reports.... no. It also doesn't play flash either. WTF, Microsoft, it's like you said to your engineers "Ok, this Apple interface is the best there is. Copy it. If they don't need multitasking, then we shouldn't have it either. Same with Flash, they left it out for some reason, so I don't see why we should include it in ours either."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
According to preliminary reports.... no. It also doesn't play flash either. WTF, Microsoft, it's like you said to your engineers "Ok, this Apple interface is the best there is. Copy it. If they don't need multitasking, then we shouldn't have it either. Same with Flash, they left it out for some reason, so I don't see why we should include it in ours either."
well, no phones have flash support right now. It's coming to Palm and Android soon though. Android is also getting AIR support too.

But yea. lack of multitasking = do not want

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Bunch of random generalizations
MOV and WMV are container formats, not codecs and neither uses best of class codecs. Also BOTH HD DVD and bluray use WMV technology as one of its required/key components, not quicktime. x264 makes MS and Apple video codecs look like crap and its free.

Both iTunes and WMP are awful bloatware too.

At least keep your generalizations about things that make sense and know what you are talking about rather than sounding like a simpleton fanboy.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i loved all of my WiMo phones. theyve been teasing new WiMO 6.5 phones, but yet show this new 7.0 phone.....isnt technology great?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
well, no phones have flash support right now. It's coming to Palm and Android soon though. Android is also getting AIR support too.

But yea. lack of multitasking = do not want
Yeah its in development like the rest. The Windows mobile platform was one of the first with Flash support via third party many years ago.

I want to know more about the hardware too.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
sorry, i meant built in
It doesn't matter if your device isn't locked down and controlled by Apple or any other single company. You don't have to use IE or Safari on either of those respective PC platforms either and neither of those browsers have the flash built-in either.

Adobe and MS have been working on this for a while - they aren't hostile towards each other like Apple and Adobe: http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2008/11/16/adobe-to-demo-flash-on-mobile-but-only-windows-still-working-on-the-iphone/

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Blah, Blah, Blah
Yep, I am a simlpeton. I required a phone that did what it was supposed to simply and effectively. Based on my experience, MS can't do that. Like I said I have never even used a mac computer, but I will look at one the next time I am in the market. MS lost me as a customer based on my previous MS phone experience.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yep, I am a simlpeton. I required a phone that did what it was supposed to simply and effectively. Based on my experience, MS can't do that. Like I said I have never even used a mac computer, but I will look at one the next time I am in the market. MS lost me as a customer based on my previous MS phone experience.
Heaven forbid MS learned from their mistakes. Not that I would expect it, but it is possible.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Their browser has been in development for about 16 years now, hasn't it?
Actually any Webkit browser has been in development for about 10 years, not just RIM's. That's when that got started.

Joke is a miss and RIM always has allowed third party browsers just like a real PC. No need to hold hands with daddy Jobs and ask if its own to install software on a phone that you own.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Actually any Webkit browser has been in development for about 10 years, not just RIM's. That's when that got started.

Joke is a miss and RIM always has allowed third party browsers just like a real PC. No need to hold hands with daddy Jobs and ask if its own to install software on a phone that you own.
Yeah yeah...

If you'd rather look at the internet on a Blackberry Bold instead of an iPhone, I just have to hope they put a helmet on you when you get out of bed in the morning.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah yeah...

If you'd rather look at the internet on a Blackberry Bold instead of an iPhone, I just have to hope they put a helmet on you when you get out of bed in the morning.
Neither which is why I still don't own a smartphone with a data plan now that work doesn't pay for the my phone - email only. I have enough patience/sense to wait for a real computer where I can get more work done and rather spend the money on something else.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah yeah...

OH ITS A RETARD JOKE!!!! SOMEBODY CALL SARAH PALIN!!!!!! :weee::rolleyes:

At least RIM's devices aren't designed for people with such limited cognitive ability that they can only run one app at a time.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
At least RIM's devices aren't designed for people with such limited cognitive ability that they can only run one app at a time.
Silver has become an American after all. He can't handle Canadian technology - its not dumbed down enough for him...