Quantcast

Windows doesn't know when DST is?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
My computer's time is set back one hour. It's set to the correct time zone with DST enabled and I just synced it. :confused:

Did someone at windows jump the gun and set the clock back a week early? Or is it just my computer?

Running Win XP sp3..

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
WTF??? My Desktop PC has that exact screen you posted but my laptop does not????? Both are running XP.... Thought I had set them both up identical.... Aparantly I missed something.... I look like a computer ass now

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Wait what windows are you running?.... I am running xp and mine sets through windows. Maybe i set mine up differently way back when..... But I just took a look and mine doesnt.

Looks like your date and time server screwed you then.
Win XP sp3 x86 64-bit.

Not sure why yours doesn't, there's probably an unchecked box somewhere. But I just tried syncing it with the government server (time.nist.gov) and got the same time, an hour behind, so I don't think its the server.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I would recommend Win7. Especially since you are already running 64bit.
I am a slow adopter of tech when it comes to software. I like to wait until they sort things out. I leap frogged Vista and waited until everybody had their 64bit drivers sorted.

Honestly, Win7 is the first change that really has added a lot of functionality.

Update for Windows XP (KB2570791), Aug 8, 2011
Install this update to resolve issues caused by revised daylight saving time and time zone laws in several countries. This update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2011. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Not guaranteed to be the only update you need to correct your problems with time. For the record: When you synchronize with a time server, the time you receive is UST. It is the responsibility of your operating system to convert to local time, with or without DST.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Update for Windows XP (KB2570791), Aug 8, 2011
Install this update to resolve issues caused by revised daylight saving time and time zone laws in several countries. This update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2011. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Not guaranteed to be the only update you need to correct your problems with time. For the record: When you synchronize with a time server, the time you receive is UST. It is the responsibility of your operating system to convert to local time, with or without DST.
I changed my time zone.And I'll change it back next Sunday. Problem solved :p

I'll probably make the switch to windows 7 in the next few weeks if all the drivers sort out properly.