Quantcast

Windows is realllly slowwww

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
How can I reboost windows to make it as quick as it was when I did a clean install (about a year ago)?

I imagine so much crap has compiled in the computer it's slowed down. The most annoying things are Outlook and waiting for Netscape to start or go to the next page.

Thanks.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Look at your process list. If there is an application that is continually using 80% or more of your processor time, then you probably have a virus or spyware. You can kill the program from the process list, but it will come back next time you reboot.

If you do have a malicious program, post the name of it and someone here can help with removal.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
"System Idle Process" is using between 70-99" of the CPU tab. Does that mean it's using between 70-99% of my CPU???

It doesn't sound like something I want to End Process.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
traymon.exe
osd.exe
updatestats.exe
Loader.exe

Are a few examples of the processes that are running. I'm listed under User Name, in words not SYSTEM. I'm thinking that these are progams that i've installed, or are viruses that installed theselves. Is it okay to end these processes? Can I permanently delete them somehow?

Toddly

Chimp
Aug 26, 2003
I would recommend a couple of things to start with. Make sure that you clean out your Temporary Internet Files. Its called Cache or something like that in Netscape. You can also get rid of the stuff that is in the Temp File as well.
Then defrag the hard drive if it needs it and it probably will if it has been a year since the last time.
You can get a free online virus scan here and see if it turns up anything.

X_tremeBFH

Chimp
Oct 31, 2003
sunny san diego
the same thing you said is happeneing to me to. i checked and System Idle Process is hogging 98% of my cpu on average. i tried to end the task and it said "The operation could not be completed. The operation is not valid for this process."

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
If you're running XP or 2000 disable any unnecessary services.

Here is a handy dandy list of what everything is, and what is safe to turn off. http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

If you have like Win 95, 98 or ME, uninstall any program you don't use anymore and defrag the harddrive.

Also, delete the contents of the temp directory, and do a search for *.tmp and delete those files. This worls for any version of Windows.