Quantcast

Windows Media Center

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok....

So what is the purpose of Windows Media Center? What is required to set up my already existing computer with it? Is that all I can use my computer for when it's installed on it?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I believe WinMCE is XP+media tools. I also believe you can't buy it seperately, at least through 'legal' channels. You also need TV capture and output hardware.

FYI, there are other products out there that will do almost as good to far superior job of media management. I think one is http://sagetv.com/

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I believe WinMCE is XP+media tools. I also believe you can't buy it seperately, at least through 'legal' channels. You also need TV capture and output hardware.

FYI, there are other products out there that will do almost as good to far superior job of media management. I think one is http://sagetv.com/
I just purchased a wireless device thru www.woot.com so I can set it all up wirelessly to my TV but I need WinMCE.

Apr 3, 2005
So. Dak.
ive found media center to be pretty pointless also, its a seperate program... at least on my computer.. i have windows vista though. but you can still use media player.. itunes.. whatever for your media also. i think it would be nice if you have to present alot of stuff. but for personal use its kinda dumb

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
media center is useful if you use the machine to record television or view television on your computer (use it as an HTPC) or if you like to use it to stream television/recorded applications to a tv via an xbox 360.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Media Center is great if you've got a media PC that you control over your TV, especially with a remote control. It provides nice, easy to navigate menus that are large enough to read on low resolution TV displays (if you don't have a high-res HDTV) and with a remote control instead of a mouse or keyboard.