Quantcast

Windows OEM?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok I have a couple questions.

I've been building an HTPC and for the first time I built a computer I actually BOUGHT Windows.

Everything seems to be running fine until I finally open windows up. I stick the MOBO driver CD in and it opens but I can't find the MOBO so I manually install the drivers through windows. Then I open try to install the Linksys Wireless PCI card and I open the program it flashes on the screen for about 2 seconds and then it disappears. So I install the drivers from windows and it seems to install. Then I try to set up a network connection and the wizard doesn't open. It doesn't recognize the wireless card nor the hardwire network port. It appears Internet Explorer isn't installed properly.

I've formatted the HD 2x since I started and I've re-installed windows 3 times with the same results everytime. I've also installed SP2 with the same results.

What exactly is Windows OEM (purchased from newegg)?
Anybody ever seen something like this before?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
An OEM copy is the same as a retail other than the licensing. An OEM copy must be purchased within 90 days of getting the hardware and cannot be legally transferred to another computer.

By MOBO are you talking about the motherboard's chipset?

It sounds like you might need to upgrade to a newer version of IE before you run your installation if you are getting errors related to Internet Explorer - some programs require at least IE 6 to run.

I would make sure its got SP2, IE6 (or 7). You need WindowsXP-KB893357 if you are connecting to WPA2 without a third party wifi utility/supplicant.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
An OEM copy is the same as a retail other than the licensing. An OEM copy must be purchased within 90 days of getting the hardware and cannot be legally transferred to another computer.

By MOBO are you talking about the motherboard's chipset?

It sounds like you might need to upgrade to a newer version of IE before you run your installation if you are getting errors related to Internet Explorer - some programs require at least IE 6 to run.

I would make sure its got SP2, IE6 (or 7). You need WindowsXP-KB893357 if you are connecting to WPA2 without a third party wifi utility/supplicant.

I know it's got SP2 because I downloaded it separate and installed it. I'm not so concerned with IE it's just one of the many "strange" things that are happening.

I can't get any connection or recognition to either my wired or wireless connections.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just make sure you are using the correct drivers. If you are sure they are the correct drivers you are trying to install you might have a bad motherboard.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There's about a 95% chance that you're installing the wrong drivers. Get on another computer and download the chipset drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website, don't use the driver CD. Burn 'em onto CD and install them on your computer.

The other 5% is, as syadasti suggested, the possibility of a bad motherboard.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
There's about a 95% chance that you're installing the wrong drivers. Get on another computer and download the chipset drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website, don't use the driver CD. Burn 'em onto CD and install them on your computer.

The other 5% is, as syadasti suggested, the possibility of a bad motherboard.
I started to do that last night. I'll follow up today.

I also read on newegg.com reviews for the board and they say that the install goes disc 1,2,1 not 1,2,sp2 like the command asks for.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I started to do that last night. I'll follow up today.

I also read on newegg.com reviews for the board and they say that the install goes disc 1,2,1 not 1,2,sp2 like the command asks for.
What mobo is it?

I'd install the latest drivers for the particular chipset. For example if it's nVidia I'd install from drivers avail on nVidia's site, not the mobo manufacturer. Often they do not have the latest and greatest drivers on mobo sites. The chipset manufacturer usually has the very latest fixes which can solve many ills.

YMMV.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Here is my current config
BIOSTAR TF560 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 560 MCP
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Eagle Tech CA-EC1-K Black Aluminum ATX Media Center / HTPC Desktop Computer Case 450W Power Supply

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Here is my current config
BIOSTAR TF560 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 560 MCP
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Eagle Tech CA-EC1-K Black Aluminum ATX Media Center / HTPC Desktop Computer Case 450W Power Supply

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_520_winxp2k_12.15.html

And:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Setup.exe
AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.