Quantcast

windows s mode

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
anyone actually use it? i recently picked up a small laptop that came with win11 s mode for travel purposes. the laptop isn't very high powered, just a HP stream 11". i just need it for basics - email, web broswer, stuff like that, and copying files off my gopro on the road. did some research, once i switch out of s mode there's no going back to it. the breaker for me right now is i can't install chrome in S mode. i've given edge a try, and its just got too much bloat and crap, esp since you can't reassign the default search engine from bing. is S mode actually any faster than regular win11? googling doesn't give me a straight answer, but it seems like not really, more just a matter of what stuff you install. thoughts?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I know this is late, but S mode isn't actually faster in any meaningful way. It's just more restrictive - it's a mode that is designed to simulate what your phone OS does. It forces everything through the app store, with the associated restrictions; apps are heavily sandboxed, must have signed code, have limited access to the underlying OS, etc.

This can result in things being faster-ish, because app store apps have more restrictions and are handled differently by the OS, but that has less to do with the OS and more to do with whether you have chosen to run any poorly optimized apps. For the most part, S-mode is "faster" because people just aren't allowed to download a thousand stupid apps that all run in the background mining bitcoin.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know this is late, but S mode isn't actually faster in any meaningful way. It's just more restrictive - it's a mode that is designed to simulate what your phone OS does. It forces everything through the app store, with the associated restrictions; apps are heavily sandboxed, must have signed code, have limited access to the underlying OS, etc.

This can result in things being faster-ish, because app store apps have more restrictions and are handled differently by the OS, but that has less to do with the OS and more to do with whether you have chosen to run any poorly optimized apps. For the most part, S-mode is "faster" because people just aren't allowed to download a thousand stupid apps that all run in the background mining bitcoin.
thanks for the info BV. since i originally posted I've done some more research and that's the gist i've gotten. just don't install a bunch of random BS, and keep tabs on the programs that initiate on startup and it should be fine.

thanks for the feedback.