Quantcast

Windows Server 2008

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
So I've started testing Server 2008 - and so far I'm not very impressed. There's something scary about the thought of a spiced up version of vista running our worlds applications.

Internet rumors were that Microsoft was planning on releasing a "core" version of their os this time - no GUI - all command line, I don't know about the rest of you but that's something I can get behind.

Well I loaded Windows 2008 Server "Core" on my ESX server and they have done everything you can expect from Microsoft. I watch and waited for the "core" to boot wondering when the command line was going to come up. Well I didn't come up until after I logged into the gui - yup, you have a vista style logon screen. Once you log on it goes to a desktop with nothing on it other then a cmd box - no tool bar no start button just a cmd box. However if you hit ctr alt del - task manager will pop up - :plthumbsdown:

This could be the biggest MS flop silence windows ME

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
When you say "worlds applications" think about what my company is doing with it. Running refineries and chemical plants with control systems with Windows OS computers. :think:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So... so far you've noted that there is a desktop screen and a command line, and you've dubbed it a flop? Excellent :p

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
So... so far you've noted that there is a desktop screen and a command line, and you've dubbed it a flop? Excellent :p
I'm sorry I forgot the people like you read these post - next time I'll be sure to list all of the features that I don't like about Microsoft - Maybe you missed that the main point of my post was to tell everyone that Microsoft's version of command line is a gui with a command promp.

Those who can use linux those who can't use Microsoft

I laughed when the so-called command line implementation presented a GUI. Some of the configuration tools also present GUIs. Core server's an oddball. My first thought was to use it for web servers and DCs but it sounds as though it'll be a pain in the ass to deploy and administer.

We'll continue to deploy 2003-based farms until a couple of months after '08 gets released, then switch over starting in our own offices. Like it or not, it's reasonably easy to design, deploy and maintain reliable and secure systems using Windows.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm sorry I forgot the people like you read these post
Lighten up.

Maybe you missed that the main point of my post was to tell everyone that Microsoft's version of command line is a gui with a command promp.
I don't really know about the structure of the new OS, so I can't really say for sure. However, there's a vast gap between a real GUI operating system and a command line operating system with a GUI dumped on top of it. Linux has the latter. Simply presenting you with a desktop doesn't mean it's not a command-line based OS.

I'd be interested to know how integrated the GUI is, though.