Quantcast

Windows Sharing

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I need to share a file across the network so other people can have access to it. I right click on the folder, click sharing, then click the share this folder radio button. Then I go into Permissions (since I don't want everyone to be able to get into the folder). I click the Add button to add users, but I can't look outside of my local machine, i.e. I can't select the domain I'm logged into to look for users.

It's a windows 2000 box... any tips would be appreciated.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
jacksonpt said:
I need to share a file across the network so other people can have access to it. I right click on the folder, click sharing, then click the share this folder radio button. Then I go into Permissions (since I don't want everyone to be able to get into the folder). I click the Add button to add users, but I can't look outside of my local machine, i.e. I can't select the domain I'm logged into to look for users.

It's a windows 2000 box... any tips would be appreciated.
You will have to be logged onto the domain. And you might need to be a domain administrator to access domain resources.

Instead of going to Permissions, try the Security tab. See how that works.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Here's a trick I use to get around the domain login thing. Create a generic user w/ a generic login and password on your machine so you can tell them what it is (be sure to only give that user "USER" level permission). When your buddy tries to log into that folder, they'll be prompt for a login and password. They type in that login/password you give them.
I can't remember if this will work or not if it (the generic login/password) is different than their windows login/password. If not, then it gets pretty tedious as you'll have to create users for everyone that wants to log onto your machine. And, if you or they are not going thru the domain controller, you'll have to match the login/password they use on their machine to log onto windows.
I use this cheat quite a bit at work as I have machines that do and don't log onto the domain for various reasons.
As for permissions, you want to give them read and execute abilities only on the files you've opened to them. Only give them write permission on a specific folder (say "Upload") so they don't hose your files (you'll also need to enable read so they can verify successful upload) w/ accidental deletes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Pau11y said:
Here's a trick I use to get around the domain login thing. Create a generic user w/ a generic login and password on your machine so you can tell them what it is (be sure to only give that user "USER" level permission). When your buddy tries to log into that folder, they'll be prompt for a login and password. They type in that login/password you give them.
I can't remember if this will work or not if it (the generic login/password) is different than their windows login/password.
This is what I do at home for my roommate's computer so that he can have shared access on my server.

And yes, it'll work if it's different from their windows logon/password - they're two separate logons.

Incidentally, I've tried "matching" the logons and passwords like you mentioned, and can't ever get it to work. I don't think Windows recognizes two accounts set up on two machines as being the same, even if the username and password is the same.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
binary visions said:
This is what I do at home for my roommate's computer so that he can have shared access on my server.

And yes, it'll work if it's different from their windows logon/password - they're two separate logons.

Incidentally, I've tried "matching" the logons and passwords like you mentioned, and can't ever get it to work. I don't think Windows recognizes two accounts set up on two machines as being the same, even if the username and password is the same.
Oh, I forgot, you'll need to set the permission on that dir/drive/shared volume to allow that user to access. Do this, but follow the read/write/mod permissions I was talking about before (more for the benefit of the orginal poster). I had a user nuke an entire drive of MP3s "by accident" when I didn't do the permissions thing. This is where I like Linux/Unix. You can just create a symbolic link to the actual file in the share. So if they nuke what's in the share, it's no big...

Edit: I'm on XP and it's just slightly different than 2K.