Quantcast

windows update fails to install updates

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
...all 90 of them (result of upgrading from xp home to xp pro).

is this something subtle like the difference between ms update & windoze update?

i tried both from the website & the packaged installer on the tasktray.

???

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Try doing a custom update and install 5-10 at a time. I've run into a few computers that didn't like doing 30 at a time so I installed them piecemeal. Just open up IE and go to Tools > Windows Update

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also check your services. I had the same issue over the weekend and it turns out the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" was set to manual and was not started.

I set it to Auto and started it, everything worked after that. But for some reason the service resets to Manual after every reboot.

I guess you could say that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service isn't as intelligent as it should be. :D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ok, fixed; the support link i threw up did the trick.

78 of my 90 updates were security-based :think:

Also check your services. I had the same issue over the weekend and it turns out the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" was set to manual and was not started.

I set it to Auto and started it, everything worked after that. But for some reason the service resets to Manual after every reboot.

I guess you could say that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service isn't as intelligent as it should be. :D
The BITS is intended to be set to manual startup. Windows Update starts and stops the service when needed during its normal course of operations.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Another good piece of software to run to keep updated is:

https://psi.secunia.com/

I don't leave it running all the time though - just occasionally to scan/check for updates.

They also have some good offerings for corporate environments but its not the first solution of its kind I've seen in that regard.