Quantcast

Windows Vista - Holy Crap!

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
369
0
Rocktown, VA
Well - I just returned from an IT Conference where I learned a little about the new OS - Windows Vista. First of all, the OS looks a little like the Mac OSX (who would have thought :rolleyes: ) and second, it's geared toward the young people, it's a total toy friendly OS. Lots of support for games and iPods and all the other crap that you can hook to your PC.

Here's the real kicker - to run this OS the System requirements must be (so you know you better double):

PIII or higher
512 MB of RAM - recommended 1 GB or more
64 MB 3D AGP or PCI X card with Direct X 9
2 GB of available free space on the HD
They also recommended the 64 bit OS over the 32 bit OS

Holy Sh1t! You will have to buy a new PC if you want to run it, because how many 1-2 year old PC's out there have that type of build. It certainly doesn't look like a corporate friendly OS, more for home use. Oh well...It is Microsoft.

Release date scheduled for Fall of 2006. And, there already working on the next generation OS after Vista - code named Blackcomb.
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,844
11
So Cal
Looks like it's just about time to move to linux. Vista sounds like a bloated piece of crap.
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
22,208
372
NY
Ciaran said:
Looks like it's just about time to move to linux. Vista sounds like a bloated piece of crap.
ha, nice Napoleon Dynamite quite.
 

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
38,955
5,640
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

Hopefully they'll continue W2K support for the next decade or so................
Not gonna happen. We had to redesign the hardware for some of our industrial terminals because XP and higher OS would not support small 640X480 displays and Microsoft plans on killing W2K support. ****ers.
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,844
11
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
10 years ago was the time to move to Linux...... :think:
I am just now becoming geeky enough to make the move... and it still skares me. I know Windows... I know how to make it run well... Linux is new territory for me.
 

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
18,045
0
Towing the party line.
Glad i just returned to macs with a shiny new 1.67ghz powerbook with 2gb of ram..(oh wait, i COULD run vista...not). Vista is going to be another huge pile of ass from microshaft.

I love win2k tho, run it on all of my media server and wouldn't ever give it up.
 

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
18,045
0
Towing the party line.
Ciaran said:
I am just now becoming geeky enough to make the move... and it still skares me. I know Windows... I know how to make it run well... Linux is new territory for me.
same here - exactly how i felt about my mac..i am slowly learning where everything is hidden (and finally got into console....feels like coming home again to linux)
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,844
11
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
Don't worry. It just runs well. It doesn't take anything......... :D
LOL... Yeah, but how do you install stuff like drivers? And what's with this .tar and .gz stuff? Ack!

Oh well... the more Windows users there are the more work I have. ( PC tech, I fix Windows)
 

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
140
0
Santa Barbara county
I bought my computer in the fall of 99 (Athlon 550 overclocked to 600, RAM upgraded from 128 to 384, 80 GB drive supplementing the original 16, upgraded from Win 98SE to ME to XP- finally stable on XP).

Anyway, it took me a few years to get this thing operating stably (rock solid now), but it still works suprisingly well for such an old machine. However, it is really slow editing photos, and I'd like to get into some home video editing as well as be able to play games again, so I was thinking of upgrading soon. My question is: what are the supposed advantages of Vista? Should I wait for it?

Also, about Linux, aren't there software availability problems with Linux? Do you need Linux-specific photoshop or games or anything, or can you use your old software and windows stuff. About the only reason I usually stick with windows is for additional software availability, compatibility, and price.
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
If you want to run Vista be prepared to sink a ton of cash into new hardware, namely a monitor that supports HDCP. Otherwise say bye bye to things like HD playback.

DRM for the lose!
 

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
369
0
Rocktown, VA
towelie said:
Snip>My question is: what are the supposed advantages of Vista? Should I wait for it?

Also, about Linux, aren't there software availability problems with Linux? Do you need Linux-specific photoshop or games or anything, or can you use your old software and windows stuff. About the only reason I usually stick with windows is for additional software availability, compatibility, and price.
Better multimedia capabilities are one of the supposed advantages. Personally - I would stick with XP Pro - if Vista is anything like its predecessor, it's not going to be somewhat stable until a service pack or two has been released.

As far as Linux is concerned - most games are not designed for the Linux platform, that's not saying they will not run on Linux, I've just never heard of anyone gaming with Linux. They do offer a lot of free or inexpensive software packages that are very robust for the Linux OS.
 

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
70
0
I've been beta testing Vista (longhorn) for about 1 1/2 months now.
Its not really as bad as you think (running it on an athlon64 3400+/gig of ram/x850 xt)

so far its been as stable as a beta should be, slowly been transitioning my "daily crap" (websurfing/some gaming/playing around with specialized software that i use for work)

blackcomb has been a "work in progress" for about 5 years now.
read paul thurrot's site about the various os's in progress
 

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
369
0
Rocktown, VA
Ridemonkey said:
Don't compare it to OSX...I've seen screenshots, and Vista looks like something the cat dragged in....or hacked up.

I wasn't trying to compare it, I was pointing out the obvious OSX ripoffs. MS is known for ripping off Apple though.

Such rippoffs include:
The File Vault
Transparent views
Search Feature (which I can't see how it could even compare to Mac)
One step CD ripping
Smart Folders
Burn Folders
etc...
 

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
70
0
BUCKET said:
I wasn't trying to compare it, I was pointing out the obvious OSX ripoffs. MS is known for ripping off Apple though.

Such rippoffs include:
The File Vault
Transparent views
Search Feature (which I can't see how it could even compare to Mac)
One step CD ripping
Smart Folders
Burn Folders
etc...
News flash: a little company called Stardock beat both MS and Apple to the punch on transparency.
search you could say was stolen from unix systems (grep anyone?)
burn folders was a pre-roxio ezcd explorer snapin feature

And remember.... MS owns a rather large chunk of Apple.

:oink: :oink: :heart:
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
51,277
4,437
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
LOL... Yeah, but how do you install stuff like drivers? And what's with this .tar and .gz stuff? Ack!
Drivers? Just make sure you get stuff that's supported. Driver stuff can get a bit hairy if you're rolling your own drivers........ :D

.tar? .gz? It's like .zip, man. No different. In fact, just use .zip. :p

Oh well... the more Windows users there are the more work I have. ( PC tech, I fix Windows)
I'd probably be homicidal by now if I was still supporting Windows (I used to). ;)
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
51,277
4,437
In a van.... down by the river
towelie said:
<snip>

Also, about Linux, aren't there software availability problems with Linux? Do you need Linux-specific photoshop or games or anything, or can you use your old software and windows stuff. About the only reason I usually stick with windows is for additional software availability, compatibility, and price.
That's a compelling reason to stick with Windows, IMO. There are Windows "emulation" apps that allow you to run Windows software in Linux, but in my experience it's a bit hokey.

If you software needs are fairly basic, Linux is a nice alternative. Especially since everything is free. :D

Photo editing - The Gimp
Office app - OpenOffice (WP, Spreadsheet, DB, Presentation)
Video editing - ??
Surfing - Firefox, Opera, etc.
 

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
1,477
0
suburban hell
SkaredShtles said:
That's a compelling reason to stick with Windows, IMO. There are Windows "emulation" apps that allow you to run Windows software in Linux, but in my experience it's a bit hokey.
Most of those games are ported to OS X if you sill want *nix. You just have to wait a couple more months. Not good if you're the geek who's gotta gotta gotta have the latest game...
 

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
2,240
0
Ballard 4 life.
likwid said:
News flash: a little company called Stardock beat both MS and Apple to the punch on transparency.
search you could say was stolen from unix systems (grep anyone?)
burn folders was a pre-roxio ezcd explorer snapin feature

And remember.... MS owns a rather large chunk of Apple.

:oink: :oink: :heart:
Used to own part of Apple. Mac OS is UNIX, so it can't really steal anything from itself. When it comes to software, everyone builds off of everyone else.
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,844
11
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
Didn't they just recently drop NT support? That $hit's been around since before Windows 95.
Yes they did recently drop their NT support. That's one of the reasons the company I work for FINALLY decided to upgrade from NT. So what did they go with? Win 2000. Couldn't go with XP, huh guys? My company sucks.
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,844
11
So Cal
Westy said:
Just got my new laptop with XP in it. I already miss W2K. The cartoonish graphics give me a headache.
You can turn them off and make it look like 2000...

Right click your desktop - Properties - Themes tab... choose Windows classic. BAM! There's your favorite desktop.
 

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
12,701
290
VT
Westy said:
Just got my new laptop with XP in it. I already miss W2K. The cartoonish graphics give me a headache.
They are pretty much the same kernel, XP just has some features added to Win2K. Turn them off if you don't like them (best performance option in attached photo)...
 

Attachments

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
12,701
290
VT
Ciaran said:
You can turn them off and make it look like 2000...

Right click your desktop - Properties - Themes tab... choose Windows classic. BAM! There's your favorite desktop.
That works too, but using the performance visual effects options speeds up XP a bit too...
 

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
369
0
Rocktown, VA
likwid said:
News flash: a little company called Stardock beat both MS and Apple to the punch on transparency.
search you could say was stolen from unix systems (grep anyone?)
burn folders was a pre-roxio ezcd explorer snapin feature

And remember.... MS owns a rather large chunk of Apple.

:oink: :oink: :heart:
I'm not sure who stole what from who, and I don't really care. I do know that MS seems to follow Apple/Mac inovative ideas.

Oh - as far as the search being stolen from Unix, I suppose MS may have stolen the idea, but Apple certainly didn't. Apple/Mac couldn't really steal something from Unix, since there OS is based on Unix.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
51,277
4,437
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
You can turn them off and make it look like 2000...

Right click your desktop - Properties - Themes tab... choose Windows classic. BAM! There's your favorite desktop.
W2K is already "classic"? Now I feel like an un-hip old dude..... :think: