Quantcast

Windows Vista, or why my next computer will be a Mac...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So, Microsoft comes out with a new OS that means I need to upgrade. I quit playing games a couple of years ago, so I haven't touched my hardware since then. I've seen guesses that you'll need 2 gigs of RAM to run Vista well, along with a high end graphics card. Seems like a lot of work for translucent windows, doesn't it? XP works fine, it's plenty stable, and if I go to Vista I have to upgrade all my hardware and software anyways.

Which is the only reason I don't have a Mac. Yet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:thumb:

and the mac you get should be able to run vista as well (and certainly xp), should you feel the need

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
So who says you need to upgrade? If you like XP, keep running XP. Hell, if you like Win 2K keep running that. Also, Vista is currently still a BETA version, and it does NOT require two gigs to run. :rolleyes:

Maybe wait till the final product is actually released before you start lamenting it's flaws.

Edit: I'm running Vista on a Dell D610 laptop. 1.5 gigs RAM, 2.0 ghz CPU. Runnin' fine so far.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ciaran said:
So who says you need to upgrade? If you like XP, keep running XP. Hell, if you like Win 2K keep running that. Also, Vista is currently still a BETA version, and it does NOT require two gigs to run. :rolleyes:

Maybe wait till the final product is actually released before you start lamenting it's flaws.

Edit: I'm running Vista on a Dell D610 laptop. 1.5 gigs RAM, 2.0 ghz CPU. Runnin' fine so far.
Well, at some point I'm going to have a hardware issue or want to upgrade. I haven't touched my machine for 4 years or so. I'll probably be itching for an upgrade about the time Vista comes out.

I'm not saying it's going to require 2 gigs. I'm saying that to run it with a few programs open, I've heard the requirements are going to be high. I'm also leery of Microsoft's track record with new OS rollouts. Since I'll most likely have to upgrade most of my software at that time, I think it'll be a great time to switch.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rolleyes:

I don't think people are actually understanding the requirements.

TO RUN THE AERO WINDOW EFFECTS there will be high system requirements.

IF YOU TURN THE TRANSLUCENT AERO EFFECTS OFF the system requirements will drop significantly.

You don't need the huge system requirements to run the basic OS. Only if you want all the snazzy transluciencies and trasparent gradients. The memory requirements will be a little higher but there is no special graphics card needed and the processor requirements don't seem to be high at all.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Ciaran said:
Holy God, I hope so! An OS should be pretty minimalist... Mac OS X 10.4 should run pretty good on my parent's 6 year old, 400 Mhz iMac with 256 megs of RAM. I don't see the point of an OS if it's going to hog half of the CPU, i.e. Vista.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
binary visions said:
:rolleyes:

You don't need the huge system requirements to run the basic OS. Only if you want all the snazzy transluciencies and trasparent gradients. The memory requirements will be a little higher but there is no special graphics card needed and the processor requirements don't seem to be high at all.
While that is true, OSX's Aqua is the basis Microsoft used to design Aero (UI, features, and even terminology). Aqua runs better on hardware that would be considered average these days compared with Aero which requires high-end/higher spec'd hardware to get similar results. Thus Silver is right, Vista is currently too bloated and inefficient.

Not only that, but MS dropped some of the more interesting features of Vista and yet still had numerous delays. I can't admire "new products" that bring nothing new to the table, especially given so much development time and money...