Quantcast

Windows won't start

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
So my 'puter here at work is on the fritz (I'm currently in a different cube), this morning when I started my computer during the boot up a "dos" screen came up saying "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system"

I called this into our help desk and the tech is telling me the hard drive is toast.........is this correct?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Andyman_1970 said:
So my 'puter here at work is on the fritz (I'm currently in a different cube), this morning when I started my computer during the boot up a "dos" screen came up saying "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system"

I called this into our help desk and the tech is telling me the hard drive is toast.........is this correct?
Maybe, but before you toss the drive, try this:

http://www.knoppix.org/

Burn a DVD of that, and try to boot with that. You'll be able to see if you have files left on the drive.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Our IT geek did a scan and says is has 2 bad boot sectors, so a new HD is on the way.

The only downside to this whole deal is the raft load of emails I saved with tons of reference material we use here that seems will be lost......

Thanks for all the input.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Andyman_1970 said:
Our IT geek did a scan and says is has 2 bad boot sectors, so a new HD is on the way.

The only downside to this whole deal is the raft load of emails I saved with tons of reference material we use here that seems will be lost......

Thanks for all the input.

No boot sectors means you can't boot from it, but it should be able to be seen by the OS after you install a fresh drive. Have your geek install it as a secondary drive so you can go in and recover all that info.

(it'll show up as an "E" drive or something)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
H8R said:
No boot sectors means you can't boot from it, but it should be able to be seen by the OS after you install a fresh drive. Have your geek install it as a secondary drive so you can go in and recover all that info.

(it'll show up as an "E" drive or something)
Yep, if Windows will even attempt a boot, it means the drive is at least partly good. Shouldn't be a problem to recover everything you have on the drive unless the missing files are a result of a big corruption.