Quantcast

Windows XP SP3 Available

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
316.4M dl!
this is the only time i wish i had a true fatpipe.
Yeah it was about two minutes. It took me hours to download the upgrade for Hardy Heron - they just don't have the bandwidth commercial products do...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
It took me hours to download the upgrade for Hardy Heron - they just don't have the bandwidth commercial products do...
Just installed that last night. About 2 hours total.

All told it's really nice but now I'm having trouble getting the WPA settings to play nice between my router and wifi card.

I like Firefox 3.

Hmm.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I've been planning on getting windows so I can run autocad on my mac. Is do sp3 the best way to go or might there be more compatibility issues than sp2? Is vista still a total failure or have they gotten the kinks worked out?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just installed that last night. About 2 hours total.

All told it's really nice but now I'm having trouble getting the WPA settings to play nice between my router and wifi card.

I like Firefox 3.

Hmm.
I run a wifi windows driver wrapper to do wifi in Ubuntu since I don't have native drivers. I didn't have to make any setting changes after the upgrade and it works with all flavors of encryption - WPA2 AES is optimal and works fine.

Lazy Ubuntu developers don't have 802.11n support:rant:

Firefox 3 is the best next generation browser - I have it on all my machines and have completely switched over now that all my plug-ins work (well actually IE tab isn't playing nice in Windows, but oh well - I'd rather launch it separate anyways to be totally sure. I think one of my other plug-ins is conflicting with it)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I run a wifi windows driver wrapper to do WPA2 in Ubuntu since I don't have native drivers, I didn't have to make any setting changes.
I was too. Older Dlink card has no native Linux drivers (or Vista drivers for that matter)

It worked fine before but then tanked last night after HH installed.

For as few problems I've had I'm not bummin though. Actually this stupid card is the only real issue I've had.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
For as few problems I've had I'm not bummin though. Actually this stupid card is the only real issue I've had.
Well 7 to 8 is like 10.4-10.5 - nothing really made it had to have but it wasn't revolting like Vista.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Well 7 to 8 is like 10.4-10.5 - nothing really made it had to have but it wasn't revolting like Vista.
Reset the router and the modem and re-entered the settings in everything. Then I waited a bit. Bingo. Works charmingly now.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
so here's the first sign of trouble after installing SP3...
Looks like you use those wanky third party driver utilities - I never install or use them. They are crap and don't add any useful functionality you can't do with windows alone or via stand alone software. Uninstall them and use the drivers (inf and sys files) with the windows wifi client alone.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Looks like you use those wanky third party driver utilities - I never install or use them. They are crap and don't add any useful functionality you can't do with windows alone or via stand alone software. Uninstall them and use the drivers (inf and sys files) with the windows wifi client alone.
system -> hw -> dev mgr -> network adapters -> d-link airplus wireless pci -> update driver seems to have done the trick

if that didn't (or still doesn't after yet-another-reboot), then i'll try your suggestion.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
system -> hw -> dev mgr -> network adapters -> d-link airplus wireless pci -> update driver seems to have done the trick

if that didn't (or still doesn't after yet-another-reboot), then i'll try your suggestion.
fail.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Don't install any of their third party crap - just the drivers - inf and sys.

Haha, newb - did you really try the drivers from windows update :busted:
that's next (WU running now)

putting a pot of coffee on now...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Don't install any of their third party crap - just the drivers - inf and sys.

Haha, newb - did you really try the drivers from windows update :busted:
ok, the date on the dll from the d-link site is late '04, & the inf is from 3 yrs back.

the windows one is last year, & digitally signed (fwiw).

i can't imagine installing something from 4 yrs ago is the way to go...is there a 3rd choice?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Depends on who makes your wifi chipset - you can probably get a generic driver from the chipset maker or from another company that uses the same chipset. Again you don't want to install any third party BS - you only want the inf and sys files and use the built-in windows wifi client.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've been planning on getting windows so I can run autocad on my mac. Is do sp3 the best way to go or might there be more compatibility issues than sp2? Is vista still a total failure or have they gotten the kinks worked out?
People who are concerned about compatibility and stability, businesses/professionals/etc, don't run out and install the latest software releases unless there is a(are) significant feature(s)/advantage(s) to doing so.

I suppose if you don't have an existing Windows configuration it would not hurt much and you could use something like VMware Fusion.

I have not used Vista on my personal machines since the release candidates - there is no significant reason to switch.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
dlink has discontinued support for my adapter.

yay.
D-link didn't design the chipset so it doesn't matter. Figure out who makes the wifi chipset and get reference drivers/drivers from another OEM that uses the same chipset.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
XPSP3 "officially" released today on Windows Update, etc.

Good luck with that.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
XPSP3 "officially" released today on Windows Update, etc.

Good luck with that.
See first post for official release date. Today was the day they released to WU distribution.

Quicker and smoother than my upgrade to Hardy Heron - had to wait a few days for enough bandwidth and it was still a slow process. No problems but doesn't seem to offer anything significant for me just like 7.10 to 8.05. Has a slight speed increase and some extra security settings - nothing huge but its free...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ok, now when dragging/dropping - particularly pix while in thumbnail view - position isn't formatted according to existing contents as in other versions/patches. that is, if i continuously drop in the same spot, other thumbnails are layered. only way to restore to a viewable mode is to change the view, then change it back.

i'm rather put out.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ok, now when dragging/dropping - particularly pix while in thumbnail view - position isn't formatted according to existing contents as in other versions/patches. that is, if i continuously drop in the same spot, other thumbnails are layered. only way to restore to a viewable mode is to change the view, then change it back.

i'm rather put out.
When was the last time you updated your videocard driver. DO NOT use drivers from Microsoft update.