Quantcast

windows xp

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
...so, my old (like 7 year old) laptop was running really slowly, and i blew away the old install...unfortunately i couldn't find the original disc, but i had an XP disc from work w/ an activation code and wanted to install that.

the problem is that it wouldn't take the code, and as it was a mass license i can't just call up MS and ask 'em for a new code, can i?

i looked at ebay as i figured there'd be someone just tossing an old machine and could sell their install disc for 20 bucks or so, but nothing anywhere close to that came up...people wanted $100 or more. screw that.

any ideas?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Actually for just running a laptop or desktop as a media center/music player jukebox/network streaming deal, Ubuntu is ideal. It's free, updates easily and has a sh1t-ton of apps dedicated to networking and media.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Which version of XP? Pro or Home?

Also, when you say it "wouldn't take it" - does that mean when you put the code in it said invalid code, or when you went to activate it denied the activation?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
At this point XP is ancient and not worth putting time and effort into (writing this on an XP machine from February, 2006, but it happens still to be working...).

Put your time and effort into something else.
that's all fine and dandy... except for the fact that XP still has the second highest install base of ALL desktop/laptop computers. Win7 is on top with 45%, XP still has 39%

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
At this point XP is ancient and not worth putting time and effort into (writing this on an XP machine from February, 2006, but it happens still to be working...).

Put your time and effort into something else.
older machines cant run 7 or even Vista, so id say its still viable for a lot of us

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
that's all fine and dandy... except for the fact that XP still has the second highest install base of ALL desktop/laptop computers. Win7 is on top with 45%, XP still has 39%
Wow, Really? That's awesome, I recently went from XP to 8 because it was so cheap and it is great, boots up quicker and runs close to an extra hour on a battery. I still think I preferred the layout of XP but 8 is good for how little it cost.

Sorry, I've added nothing useful, again.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Within that 39%, I'm guessing the demographics are about 80% businesses that refuse to upgrade and do dumb things like downgrade brand new computers to XP, and 15% old people whose computers are held together with dust and leaked dielectric fluid.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Within that 39%, I'm guessing the demographics are about 80% businesses that refuse to upgrade and do dumb things like downgrade brand new computers to XP, and 15% old people whose computers are held together with dust and leaked dielectric fluid.
what about the other 5%? Nigerian 411 scammers? :rofl:

totally agree with you though. My point was, writing XP off just due to its age is silly. Yes its definitely dated, but still widely used.

narlus, lemme know if you're still in a pinch and need a disc. I got a number of versions of XP when I was in college via student discount, and I *think* I might have a spare floating around. Would you just need the disc, or the install key to go with it?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
precisely.

edit - a friendly monkey hooked me up w/ an activation code, but now my laptop doesn't seem to want to boot from the cd...any ideas?
It booted from the CD before? No changes? I'd check the BIOS to see what your boot order is, and see if there's either a way to manually select the CD from the BIOS, or if there's a key you can hit at startup to manually select the CD (often F11).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
precisely.

edit - a friendly monkey hooked me up w/ an activation code, but now my laptop doesn't seem to want to boot from the cd...any ideas?
Go into the BIOS and look for the boot options menu. The hard drive most likely is above the dvd drive on the boot order list. Move the dvd drive to the top.

edit-crap. Beat by 5 minutes? Jeez I'm slow today.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Within that 39%, I'm guessing the demographics are about 80% businesses that refuse to upgrade and do dumb things like downgrade brand new computers to XP
don't forget gov't machines, or subs who responded to an rfp that hit the street 5 yrs ago ..... specifying xp

boggles the mind how china hasn't pwnd us by now