Quantcast

windrock-closing

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
yeah, i went around some of the other nearby wells and looked around. they do a somewhat "neater" job than the loggers, but it's still going to be intrusive. i'm not so worried about them as much as the motorized nit wits who will ignore or destroy the signs designating the area for d.h. use only.with the top of trail 14 wide open, they'll ride down into some of the trails, realize they're in over their heads and roost a u-turn out, leaving ruts in their wake. i've got the support of the a.t.v. club pres and the pres. of coal creek. they've given me permission to "do whatever i have to do to keep them out." but the place sits unsupervised 90% of the time. so we'll see what happens.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
yeah, i'm going to build a few temporary barricades,like one i built at the top of trail 14. but it's going to cost about $150-200. to build as many as i'll need. i'll drop trees across the trails where i can, but i really hate doing that. we've 12-14 places where our trails cross the access road. i recently got a sizeable donation from the a.t.v. club, but it's amazing how fast that $$$ dissapears

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dhbuilder said:
yeah, i'm going to build a few temporary barricades,like one i built at the top of trail 14. but it's going to cost about $150-200. to build as many as i'll need. i'll drop trees across the trails where i can, but i really hate doing that. we've 12-14 places where our trails cross the access road. i recently got a sizeable donation from the a.t.v. club, but it's amazing how fast that $$$ dissapears
can you have them dozer a water ditch across the entrance, then build a ladder bridge across it...that would keep motos and ATV's out.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
but from now on it will have to be acessable for the maint. crews to service the wellhead. i'd like to talk to coalcreek about putting a metal gate there. with their $$$ not mine. i don't mind spending out of my own pocket to build trails, but to secure something they opened up, shouldn't cost me.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
it's the blistering fast roadbed that runs down the middle of our area. terry and i always laugh because everyone has been calling for more flow out here. and yet nobody but he and i ride one of the best runs out here. i'll take ya'll down it the next time your here.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
BK - it's the fast double track that snakes around kinda parallel to Snakerock and ends in that super steep chute that you shouldered the tree on.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
JeffD said:
BK - it's the fast double track that snakes around kinda parallel to Snakerock and ends in that super steep chute that you shouldered the tree on.
ah yes, I will have to have Joey remove that tree, or I just could try a little harder next time to avoid it. :nuts:

Is it the trail that hooks into snakerock right before the Jawbone? One of these days I'll figure out the damn numbers and names of the trails. It's going to be a long-ass winter for DHing:(

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Yes and sort of. The run starts by breaking off to the left after the freeride section. I don't think you ever did all of trail 14 - we took you down middle chute (real steep terraces) which then crossed 14 and down to the Earnhardt drop and onto the Jawbone. The second time we hit middle chute then went right - about 100 yards of open but chunky doubletrack then right down lower chute (shoulder/tree chute) that spits you out onto the bridge after the Jawbone.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
BKQuill said:
ah yes, I will have to have Joey remove that tree, or I just could try a little harder next time to avoid it. that tree is the only thing between you and that deep rocky ravine.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh, joey when is the race gonna be. i loved hitting up the rock when i did and i really want to come back and a race is a perfect excuse to get out of work and hit up the rock. well man ill talk to you boys later and see you next season.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
JeffD said:
Yes and sort of. The run starts by breaking off to the left after the freeride section. I don't think you ever did all of trail 14 - we took you down middle chute (real steep terraces) which then crossed 14 and down to the Earnhardt drop and onto the Jawbone. The second time we hit middle chute then went right - about 100 yards of open but chunky doubletrack then right down lower chute (shoulder/tree chute) that spits you out onto the bridge after the Jawbone.
I'm with ya now... I think. It's always a blur to put all the runs together, but I remember bits-n-peices of hitting different sections. I mean how many times have I been down the mountain, and I still can't remember their damn names or number's. They sure seem to have my number though.

that tree is the only thing between you and that deep rocky ravine.
this is true, nice tree.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
frznnomad said:
yeh, joey when is the race gonna be. i loved hitting up the rock when i did and i really want to come back and a race is a perfect excuse to get out of work and hit up the rock. well man ill talk to you boys later and see you next season.
There's a race?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
naw man, the reason there won't be anymore races at the rock is because of all the bitching, whining and complaining that went on at the last race. who needs it or them. we're up here building and riding to have fun. that last event was anything but.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
what you can shuttle pisgah. shhhhh keep it on the dl. well it looks like im just gonna have to lie to the boss to get back out there, im feeling a sick weekend comming on. well joey work hard man and ill come for a full weekend so i can help you guys build and earn my keep. ill talk to you boys later and keep up the good work. cant wait to hit the new trails.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
bizutch said:
Can't resist...everybody...feel free to drool about your trail building potential with one of these bad boys!!!

http://www.toro.com/professional/sws/loader/400/index.html

http://www.bobcat.com/products/mtl/index.htm
Richard Edwards who lives in Harrisonburg, Va (I believe) has used a machine just like that (not sure if it is the same exact name brand or model) to build many of trails. He is associated with IMBA in some fashion and has built local trails at Walnut Creek in Charlottesville, Va and on the western side of Massanutten Mountain.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
thanks guys. he's just jealous because he's not sitting on top of what will be a total of 16 d.h.hill runs in one area, when we open up again this spring. he does have a n.o.r.b.a. national on his plate this year though, and hopefully that will go a long way towards letting people know what good riding there is in the south.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dhbuilder said:
thanks guys. he's just jealous because he's not sitting on top of what will be a total of 16 d.h.hill runs in one area, when we open up again this spring. he does have a n.o.r.b.a. national on his plate this year though, and hopefully that will go a long way towards letting people know what good riding there is in the south.
I heard the Downhill at Sugar is going to be all ski slope...and have a climb in the middle so that you need a middle chainring...and that Mark Weir is the course designer...and that he is building it with a ho and weedeater.....:oink:

jmtf40

Chimp
May 30, 2005
Joey I don't know exactly how your relationship with the Coal Creek people is, but I think if they don't already, they need to cut you a check.
Prior to Joey: you had Maxey and friends
Now: It's the DH mecca of the South

I know Coal Creek Mining, has got a pretty penny for all those 80 dollar licenses.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jmtf40 said:
Joey I don't know exactly how your relationship with the Coal Creek people is, but I think if they don't already, they need to cut you a check.
Prior to Joey: you had Maxey and friends
Now: It's the DH mecca of the South

I know Coal Creek Mining, has got a pretty penny for all those 80 dollar licenses.
trust me, the ones that matter out there are aware of what i've created. i couldn't be happier with the relationship i've formed with the pres. of the a.t.v. club and with the pres. of the mining co. the law enforcement officers etc.. i'm working very hard this winter with the help of terry jeffers, brian poston and mark webb, to put in a number of new trails this winter with a bit of a different style and intensity from the type we've previously constructed. i've watched more people than ever before come here this year and ride, and my goal is to "wean" them away from just running the snakerock trail over and over. i'd like nothing better than to start seeing a good crowd every weekend out here, not just once a month or so. with a bigger presence on a more consistant basis. that will lead to me getting a bigger slice of the "budget pie". which will get re-invested right back into the trails. i'm going to try to be a little more aggressive promoting this place, via photos and helmet cam video posted here on the web. i'd also like to get a chunk of $$$ together to have t-shirts made. we've talked about that alot lately and i think we have a pretty tasteful design worked out. we are also going to be g.p.s.ing the trails to hopefully have a map printed up. but no matter how much we do out here, it's the people that come here to ride that makes this place what it is. we've had some of the best sessions ever this past fall season. with people coming in from 16 states and canada to ride with us this year. can't ask for much more than that. we're busting our butt as we speak to make this place better next year.

jmtf40

Chimp
May 30, 2005
Sounds like you've got your sh&^ together. Wish I had more time to make it out to the Rock. I've ridden a total of 1 time since Mt. Snow.:nopity:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
bizutch said:
the pig face on my quote indicated sarcasm
i'll file that away, as i'm sure more sarcasm is to come somewhere down the road. if all you have is a weedeater and a ho, does that make him a trail pimp ?

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Lot's of bystanders like to see us come down the mountain. It's all off-roading, weather on mountainbikes,Jeeps,or ATV's or horses..
Glad to see & hear it's under control out there.Those trails are top-notch.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
another very productive weekend of trailbuilding. everyone will be surprized at how much new stuff there will be to ride this year and how much old stuff will have an entirely new look. long time riders here will be pleased to see the tranformation that trail 1 is getting. the steep section is no more, and the new exit will add a great deal of length tying in with the exit of the drop out trail and coming out in an entirely new area. we're routing everything away from the old trail 14 exit area and directing it all towards the windrock canyon jump at the bottom of the spine. the new road that was cut down the top of trail 14 is almost complete, and the damage was much less than expected. i talked with the guys doing the work and was very happy with the amount of respect they gave our area after they saw what we have down in there. they made sure any trees that were knocked into our trailheads were removed. and everynight when they're through, they block off the top of the trail with their bulldozers to keep the motorized traffic out. i'll be talking with the coal co. this week about a pole gate at the top of the road when work is complete. the road is wide and smooth and anybody looking to do 55 m.p.h.+ will easily be able to hit that mark. i also asked them to make sure they left a good build-up of fresh dirt down the side of the road for me.(BIG FREAKING JUMPS!!!!) and they did that as well. this town hasn't seen a mt. cross course untill i get started on one probably in the spring after all the single track is complete.