Quantcast

Windrock in the Spring

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
Me and a few friends are planning a trip down for the north to ride Windrock in a few weeks. Looking at like March 4th to the 7th and i have a few questions on whats whats.

What kind of conditions can we expect to see?
Will we be on our own to shuttle?
Is there a trail map?
Is camping a possibility?
What kind of weather can we expect?
And what is the preferred beer of the locals?

Thanks

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Me and a few friends are planning a trip down for the north to ride Windrock in a few weeks. Looking at like March 4th to the 7th and i have a few questions on whats whats.

What kind of conditions can we expect to see?
Will we be on our own to shuttle?
Is there a trail map?
Is camping a possibility?
What kind of weather can we expect?
Any what is the preferred beer of the locals?

Thanks
March could go either way. I'd say you'll probably be fine on weather but it's a big mountain so no promises. I would expect 50-60 degree days and chilly nights. You'll probably see rain at least once.

Conditions: Profro would be the man to talk to for up to date info, but I'd venture to say the trails haven't seen a ton of love over the winter, so some mud, ruts, loose rocks, downed trees, etc are common. That said, it hasn't been a very harsh winter in the southeast so maybe they will be fine. I haven't been since the fall so maybe someone will chime in with up to date info.

Trail Map: I don't know of a detailed trail map but once you're familiar with the two starting points of the DH trails you should find most of the goods with a bit of exploring.

Camping: Windrock park campground is on your right on windrock rd on the way in. It's nice, with both camping and cabins available. Bonus is the sick campground loop xc trail right there if you guys bring little bikes.

Booze: I usually find myself drinking keystone light and moonshine in the windrock parking lot, but I'll let the real locals chime in on what they'd like.

FYI day passes are $17 and available at the snack shack on your way in. Campground loop xc trails are highly recommended and under-used.

nate22

Chimp
Sep 8, 2011
East Tennessee
The way this winter has been going you might see some really nice temps. Or, in typical east tennessee fashion, the weather will change in an instant. The people around here drink moonshine and pretty much anything with "lite" at the end.

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
Trails are in good condition, minor ruttage from all that rain, no trees down, been doing some work on some of the bridges and manmade stuff so there are only a few issues with those that will be fixed shortly. Definitely plan on setting your own shuttle, but you never know when there may be another group up there.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Rocklobster is the current go to for Windrock DH info. I have been spending my time on the XC loop in the campground this winter. But Mulestar summed it up very well and yes you will need to provide your own shuttle. I might also suggest a EZup as the parking lot area is fairly exposed to the elements. Capt. Tom's BBQ in town is a must.

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
I have been dying to get back to the rock but it going to be at least April for me. I would love to make the 24th date.

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
We were able to crank out a bunch of laps thanks to clelans truck on sunday and the conditions were great, small tree down on windmill but not a hazard and typical bits of erosion here and there. The rock is good to go!

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I'm down for the 10th and my room mate wants to go also. That's the first weekend of our spring break so there will probably be a decent amount of people from Boone...

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Had no choice, winter time kicked my a$$ and parting that thing out got me through it. Tried to find another but everything was to much so I found this rig at a good price and completely rebuilt it cheap. I'm good with it.

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
I begun the begging process with the boss for the 10th... Hopefully I can make it. I may take you up on that offer josh... Well see it might be tough

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I begun the begging process with the boss for the 10th... Hopefully I can make it. I may take you up on that offer josh... Well see it might be tough
Its a sad, sad day when you have to beg for a Saturday off...unless your talkin about the real boss (your wife). The offer stands man let me know and I still have your headphones.

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
Conditions are good, trails are clear, it looks like it will sprinkle friday and be just right for sat/sun